October Not-Quite-So-MegaDive 2006 Oct. 27-29

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubafool

Contributor
Reaction score
Well, it appears that the Columbian River Otter Liberation Brigade has finally caught up with KenthemaniacDeepSeaWolf, so I am rather reluctantly taking the initiative to get this ball rolling.

What it is:
A 3 day weekend at Ginnie Springs, with lotsa diving, a touch of rum, occasional laughs at my expense,a touch of rum, camradery, a touch of rum, underwater pumpkin carving, a touch of rum, a night dive, several touchs of rum, campfires courtesy or The Fireman, a cleanup dive in the Santa Fe River, then we drink the unopened bottles of beer that we find, possibly a costume contest, etc, you get the picture.

When it is:
A weekend really close to Halloween that is yet to be determined.

The MegaDives to date have been rather expertly planned and choreographed by DSW, but since he has apparently been kidnapped and met a grisly fate somewhere deep in the Columbian jungle, and I am inherently lazy, this will probably be a little less formal. Meals will likely be more of a Bring Your Own setup, though I would like to keep the morning omelet routine alive.

The UW pumpkin carving would be nice again. I imagine that everyone who has participated in the past will want to do a night dive. I really want to set up a river cleanup dive, and see if we can coordinate it with Ginnie Springs management. I participated in one such earlier this year, and we managed to bring up a LOT of junk.

Any other suggestions?

Anyone interested?

PS:
Grass skirts are STRICTLY prohibited. Vehicles will be searched.

********************NEW INFORMATION*******************
9/18/06
The campsite will be (pending verification with Ginnie management tomorrow) the Turkey Roost area, the same campsirte that we had this spring.

The official dates are the weekend of October 27th-29th.

With the exception of a community omelet in a bag thing both mornings, there are no planned meals, so you will need to bring and cook food(or do like Ken and capture gators from the river to eat raw).

I will be there Friday somewhere around noon. The big day will be Saturday. There will be a cleanup dive in the river Saturday AM, then general diving mayhem Saturday PM. Of course, there will be the obligatory night dive into the Ballroom Saturday night. Sunday is a much slower day, but there should still be dive buddies available. The NACD is having a social Friday night, with a costume contest. Stop by and say hello to Rick Murcar (aka GDI on ScubaBoard). Camping fees are $16 per night for adults, and $6 per night for kids under 14. Dive fees are $27 per day, unless you are a diving god like jeandiver, who only has to pay $20. Link is here: http://www.ginniespringsoutdoors.com/admission.html

Added 9/19.. Updated 10/22

Scubafool & Clan
Dsw & Clan
Cardzard & Roxanne
dhampton82
BabyDuck
jeandiver
Brewone0to & Shelly
500 PSI
FL_DVLover & 4 others
Matt & Mardie
Narco$i$ & 2 others
vr24
H2Andy
Scuba_Jenny & Hermit Crab + 2
cmufieldhockey8
Technology_Shark & GF
LindaBluedolphin & 1
Edivers.org group 4 or 5
Divergirl4u
JahJahwarrior
xcntry
eandiver
DiverBlaze +1
RickFL + 1
mr3d

FOOD LIST ADDED 10/8
fried chicken- Deepseawolf,
baked beans- FL_DVLover,
soda- Bluedolphin (Linda) (12 pack Diet Pepsi), Jeandiver (2 cases Coke Products)
chips- Bluedolphin (Linda) (and salsa too),
Jeandiver marshmallows- FL_DVLover, babyduck
macaroni salad-Brewone0to
potato salad- Deepseawolf,
hot dogs/buns- Cardzard (30 hot dogs & Buns)
hamburgers/buns-Brewone0To
napkins-SFLDiver
ChoChipBrownies-SFLDiver
Flogger-Sea_Dragon
plasticware- Deepseawolf
plates- Scuba_Jenny
cups- FL_DVLover,
chocolate for the marshmallows - babyduck
Rum- Scuba_Jenny & babyduck & Cardzard (rum tote)
Case of bottled water-Scuba_Jenny
Firewood- scubafool

IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT Added 9/21/06
OK, official announcment here, folks.

I have got a commitment from Ginnie management on the cleanup dive on Saturday the 28th. They are going to provide us with topside support, including boat/boats to deposit the trash in, people in the boats to help us dump the trash out of the bags, dispose of the trash from there, etc. All we have to do is supply the divers to collect it. And get this:
****Amended 10/21/06*********
I just talked to Ginnie managment again. This is the way that they want to work out the fees, in contrast to my previous posts. You will have to pay for the day of diving for the cleanup.They do not want to do refunds for that day, for paperwork and accounting reasons. What they will do is give us vouchers for 2 days of future diving after completion of the cleanup dive.

My sincere apologies for any issues that this may cause anyone.

As far as mesh bags, if you have one, please bring it. Ginnie does have a few that we can use, but the supply is definitely finite.******************

Now here is what I need from you guys. I need everyone who can commit to not only showing up for the weekend but also to doing this cleanup dive to let me know, preferably by posting in this thread, or alternatively by PM'ing me. If you are not sure about it, that's cool, but I am looking for hard commitments, so I have some numbers that I can show to Ginnie that proves that this will be a worthwhile investment for them. Please be aware that this can be a rather challenging dive. The best visibility that I have seen in the river has probably been 20 feet, but I have also seen it be so bad as a couple of feet. Currents can be a factor as well. And on top of that, this is a working dive, hunting for trash, at times kicking against the flow, bagging trash underwater, taking it to the surface, etc.

So let me know something here.

I'm in for my 3rd year :) I've gotta be, I always miss the spring MegaDives.

Count me in, just let me know the dates and I will be there. I guess my thread was a little to late Scubafool.

i'd like to, but can't promise yet.

i'll come as the pregnant person.

yep, y'all heard it here first!

BabyDuck:
i'd like to, but can't promise yet.

i'll come as the pregnant person.

yep, y'all heard it here first!

Well now! That makes two SB members that I know that are due to bring little divers into the world. We aren't going to have to have, like, a baby shower or anything, are we?

I just sent an email to Ginnie Springs regarding this event, asking about setting up a river cleanup dive, a costume contest, etc.

This spring several of us were discussing locations for the group camping area. We camped near Devil's Eye and Devil's Ear springs this spring, and had the use of the pavilion there. This was a nice spot, although traffic through the area was a mild concern at times. We have also camped up near the store in the electric campsite area, but that has the minus of being rather far from all of the dive sites, and the traffic was an issue there as well. I was thinking of the spit of land between the Ginnie Springs run and the Santa Fe river. This would be relatively close to the dive sites, but we could block off access to our camp area rather easily. The downside is that there would be no pavilion right beside the camp area. However, a monster tarp has served us well in the past.

I was just looking at the calendar, and the most convenient date to Halloween is the weekend of the 27th-29th. The National Association of Cave Divers (NACD) is holding their annual seminar that weekend, with the party the night of the 27th at Ginnie Springs, for all of the cave freaks.

Any thoughts, opinions, ideas, suggestions?

ooh, i'd love it if it were that weekend. i'd have something to do since i can't dive. or drink. or stay up later than 9pm.

but i *can* do lap dances before 9pm. you're sure about the grass skirt embargo?

Congrats BabyDuck! :D

That weekend is as good as any for me, its kind of a fun weekend anyway. Ginnie's staff always dresses up Halloween weekend.

Me ME ME !!!!
Count me in ...

Da Beano !!!!

P.S. Might bring a non-grass skirt ... Er , OK , no skirt ...

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom