Octopus and Grouper Interaction

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Charlie99

Contributor
Reaction score
Silicon Valley, CA / New Bedford, MA / Kihei, Maui
# of dives
500 - 999
This morning on Ulua, Maui I saw a Peacock Grouper and a Day Octopus just hangin' out together. The grouper seemed to be aware of the octopus, and the octopus shuffled around a bit even while the grouper was looking right at it. After watching them for 30 seconds or so, I swam over and took a couple photos before the grouper got nervous and left. The octopus didn't seem to be nervous about the grouper, but did go back into its hole as I approached.

I've seen cooperative hunting groups of Peacock Grouper + Jack + Whitemouth Eel, but have never seen an octopus join up with a grouper.

Has anybody ever seen a Day Octopus and a Peacock Grouper together like this? Any ideas what they might have been doing?

Thanks,

Charlie Allen

P2257512_edited-1.jpg

P2257513_edited-1.jpg

P2257514_edited-1.jpg

No but I like the looks of that grouper. Which pic shows its true colors?

The bottom photo is closest to the true colors, the top photo is fairly close but a little desaturated. The middle photo has too much blue.

The photos were from 15' away, 30' depth, available light only, auto wb (no manual white balance on my point and shoot). Peacock groupers are pretty skittish and don't like to hang around for closeups, so I had to shoot with 3x telephoto and then crop.

Here's a more true to life version of the center photo:

P2257513_edited-2.jpg

Well it certainly is a very unique pic. Love the color on that grouper.

I have live on Oahu for 5 yrs now and dive almost daily.
From my experience, groupers as well as other fish will follow an octopus to pick up free food scraps.
Normally I see the manybar goatfish (moana) tagging along, following the octo from rock to rock. The peacock grouper along with the blue goatfish and trumpet fish will also follow.
Its the best time to video or photograph them due to their preoccupation with a free meal.

If you see an octopus propped up on a rock (almost standing if they could) that means it is eating, most likely a crab. You will probably see a moana eagerly waiting for the bits o' crab to fall.
pretty cool just to sit and watch!

In fact, the first picture you posted shows the octopus up on it legs. if this was one of the first shots then yes, I bet there is a crab within the clutches of its beak, and therefore that makes sense why the grouper would leave when you showed up!
Nice series of shots btw

Coll pics..

I have an idea what they where doing, but its not appropriate :censored: :tongue:

Back
Top Bottom