Octopus and other creatures found in Antarctica

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There are literally millions of "undiscovered" species in the world's oceans (and on land). Anyone who thinks they've "seen it all," has a lot to learn. There's still plenty of opportunity to discover... if you look hard enough and in places others haven't!

This is not meant as a criticism of your thread, Oceana Diver. You folks do some good work. I was very supportive of your cruise ship campaign out here on Catalina.

It's just one of those useless filler phrases, like "What will they think of next?".

I'm hoping the discoveries are never-ending. I find the variety in adaptations to a unique habitat fascinating.

The discoveries will be never ending... unless we (or natural causes) make the species we aren't aware of to go extinct before we find them.

Of course as areas that were once habitable become less so, others that weren't habitable will now open up (like those mentioned in the article). We have most likely accelerated a natural process of warming and cooling but I think the demise of the ocean biosphere is being screamed just a bit early. The Earth abides. It has been through much worse that what we have and are doing to it and life survived and flourished. Now, if we want it to survive and flourish, us included, we better start taking better care or we will get flushed away like other dominate species have in the past.

Back
Top Bottom