octopus in Vancouver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Diver0001:
Well.... I'll be darned. If I go diving there again I'll have to take a look. I made dozens and dozens of dives there in the mid to late 80's, when it was still a Marina and never saw one.... Maybe now that it's a marine park it's different... I don't know.

It's probably just me, though.

How deep do you guys usually look?

R..

as shallow as 23'

Yeah there's definately octos at Whytecliff and Porteau!! Apparently there's a big one under the sailboat at Porteau lately.

But both walls at WHytecliff usually have at least one local octo and occassionally you can find them in the tires in the middle of the bay. Also, keep an eye out at night at Whytecliff for the little Red (as opposed to Giant Pacific) octos out in the open.

I've seen octopus at Porteau...there's one under the wharf that I saw a while back...he's the only one I've seen there though.

Also lots of octos at Furry Creek...I saw 3 in one dive up there. There was a baby one (about 2 inches big! so cute) moving about in the shallows, a giant pacific one in a crack way down the wall at about 100ft (but we already knew he was there...his den was the destination of the dive), and a medium sized one under a rock in the shallows. Only saw him because of the pile of crab shells about.

I still haven't seen a big one out in the open. Would love to. :)

We have seen the lil red in the open near the islet wall but have not seen any on the opposite side of the bay. Is it around the gardens or on the cut? what approx depth ?

3 times I've seen small octos out in the open at Whitecliff. Larger ones in some of the rocks... If only Les was quicker with that camera ... :wink:

Large Octos on the south Porteau wall, under the sailboat and small octo under the pier.

Les: How is your tooth? Tino and I are heading out tomorrow so he can laugh at my while I try to sort out my doubles. Want to come along?? :D

A trick I learned last week that I found worked really well, which was told to me by our boat captain, while diving in nanaiomo was this:

Search for empty shells, the shells often form the shape of crude arrow-heads, which generally point to the direction of the den - then you can search the area and move around the plant life to look for cracks and spaces between the rocks.

Giant Pacific octopus move often, so if you find shells with sand on them, it's generally a good indication that the den is no longer inhabited.

I was also told that if you DO find an octopus, especially when they are in their den, to give them ample space, and not to shine your lights at them directly - Apprently when they are nesting, this can spook them out of the den prematurely which doesn't fair well for the eggs.

I've seen quite a few octos at Whytecliff on the cut. Mostly bigger ones to the right (north), but a few to the left. I've also seen some in the bay, but not as many. There are octos (and wolf eels) at Ansell Point as well, going to the right (north) from the entry.

If you look for shells and other tell-tale signs and also look in crevices and under ledges, sooner or later you'll find one.

I can't recall a site in BC that I've been to and haven't seen Octo's at. Last dive at Furry creek I think I saw 6. The shallowest was Ogden point at marker 1 in about 10'. He was probably the biggest Octo I've seen too. If he was any less then 15' across I'd be shocked. Smallest one I've seen so far was about 1/2" long. Looked away to show my buddy and couldn't find it again. I've seen them out in the open at Keystone (whidbey island), Lookout (next bay past whytecliff), Tuwanek (sechelt), and a few otehr places too.

All about shells and cracks in the rocks. Stick your head under and shine your light in as theyre often pretty deep into their dens.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom