octopus or squid on the north shore?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

knfmn

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Does anyone know of a good place to shore dive where you can see octopus or squid on the North Shore in Mass? I'd heard that there are octopus or squid in Gloucester harbor. Does anyone know anything about that? Any tips or tricks for the best times to encounter them?

Thanks,

Kristopher

Only octipi I've heard of in New England was in R.I. and it was on this board, evidently very small. As for Squid ....maybe June...at night :idk:

Only octipi I've heard of in New England was in R.I. and it was on this board, evidently very small. As for Squid ....maybe June...at night :idk:

Ok. Thank you for the response. Hopefully I'll be able to spot some this summer....maybe take a trip down to RI and do some poking around. I love all of the cephalopods and really want to dive with them, just to check them out. :dork2:

Kristopher

Nantucket Sound should be loaded with Squid real soon...maybe now! I think the vis would be O.K. this time of year too. Thinking Falmouth beaches [facing the Vinyard] South Cape beach [Mashpee] Cotuit etc All at Night Check out you tube I saw some Squid dives there

I personally haven't seen any squid, however, my buddies frequently see them on night dives off Back Beach or Folly Cove.

August is the best time for squid that I've seen. Cape Ann at night is loaded with them in late summer! It's almost to the point that they're a guaranteed sighting when I dive Folly that time of year. Usually seen in the shallows, over the sand, as I'm finishing the dive. I've also seen them at Back and Front Beach and Old Garden.

August is the best time for squid that I've seen. Cape Ann at night is loaded with them in late summer! It's almost to the point that they're a guaranteed sighting when I dive Folly that time of year. Usually seen in the shallows, over the sand, as I'm finishing the dive. I've also seen them at Back and Front Beach and Old Garden.

Awesome. Can't wait. That'll give me an excuse to really learn how to night dive this summer.

Kristopher

:shocked2: holding out on me? :scorned:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom