Off the Charts...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

eagerbeaver

Contributor
Reaction score
I just have to tell someone...even though the worst part is admitting that I left the lense cover on my camera so I don't have any photos. I knew when that happened it would be a good dive.

So we were the first divers to splash in at Monad Shoal at 535am this morning. As we hit the bottom[not literally] a devil ray scoots over the top of us, and then a large yellow fin tuna cruises by slowly over the drop off. At the first cleaning station we find a nice spot to hang out and a large school of skipjack tuna came racing across the plateau right into us, around us, above us. My buddy Steve turned to look at me with bug eyes that just said "COOL!" The dive was already pretty good.

Then after about a minute a thresher came into the cleaning station, circled and left. "See that Steve?", a nod, cool, happy customers... Almost immediately the shark came around again, and for the next 15mins we sat there, just the 2 of us, watching this shark pass over and over the station being cleaned. Fantastic.

Just when you thought it couldn't be better a second shark came in and the 2 of them were circling together over the cleaning station. Pretty damn cool.

Oh, look over there to the left - here comes a massive manta ray the size of a f***ing truck just gently floating over to the cleaning station, he went around a few times...

Things calmed down a bit and we decided to move down the reef. As we arrived at the next station another giant manta[possibly the same one] was happily being cleaned, he circled and circled for 15mins plus...he was joined by a school of 4-6 devil rays who passed over and over the cleaning station, and seemed to particularly enjoy cruising in formation...what a sight.

The peak for me though was watching a Thresher come in from my left and as I followed him with my head the manta and devil rays came across from my right, so I had it all in my field of view at once....blow my mind!

Unfortunately after a hefty 48mins we had to start to leave, even with nitrox helping our bottom time, the tank only lasts so long.

Just as a finale, as we ascended the mooring line a thresher came and passed by twice just to say goodbye...

No doubt in my mind when Monad shoal is good it is off the charts :D

What dive to do next to day that can even come close to that?

hmmm, takes some beating, I'll admit. Can you tell them to hang around for a few months?

sounds pretty darn good. I need to book my trip !

:cool3:

it's so good to have something to look forward to. hope they do such an exhibition in october

wow youre lucky!
mantas and threshers usually have different dentist's appointments in monad

.............and all I saw this morning was a Korean cabbie hit a moped.....shucks.....

.............and all I saw this morning was a Korean cabbie hit a moped.....shucks.....
:rofl3:

you need to come home babyd... besides, it'll soon be the rainy season and the local officials will need you to harangue them to do their jobs :wink:

Jag

dream dive....as I am still dreaming for a dive like that....

I just have to tell someone...even though the worst part is admitting that I left the lense cover on my camera so I don't have any photos. I knew when that happened it would be a good dive.

Sounds like a good one!

The lens cap technique must be the only guaranteed way to have an amazing dive :)

I wonder if purposely leaving it would work though!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom