off with my head?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

H2Andy

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
ok, honestly, how bad is it?

instead of using talc powder for my latex seals, why not use baby powder?

what chemical atrocities could the baby stuff do to my latex seals? i mean,
isn't it good enough for a baby's bottom?

so... how bad of an idea is it to use baby powder in a pinch?

Andy,
I must admit that having just received my drysuit 3 days ago I really look forward to a good scientific answer to your question.

the K

Snowbear:
Most baby powders have some sort of perfume in them to make babies' butts smell better. Supposedly the additives will break down the latex faster.

If your head smells like a baby's butt, rock on.

I mean, for the sake of the rest of us. :10:

Otherwise, go here, get a couple of unscented bottles of talc and you won't run out for years. Or, go to DUI and get gouged for little bags of the stuff.

Or, get way too MacGyver and pour this stuff into a musturd bottle (sans condiment) and re-fill the afore mentioned DUI pillow again and again.

Or just powder up your self with some J & J.... before your dives.

However - if you're going to talc up the seals before you put it away for a couple of days / months, use the unscented pure stuff. It will pull your body grunge off the latex and it will last longer.

---
Ken

Snowbear:
Most baby powders have some sort of perfume in them to make babies' butts smell better. Supposedly the additives will break down the latex faster.

The latest science is that one should not use baby powder on babies either.

To be honesy Andy, I don't know exactly how bad it is but comparing the cost of new seals against the cost of the talc, I gotta go with the talc.

Ken

I dont know if this helps, but you can buy talc used for rock climbing which is unscented. There are some little round bags you can also buy to put it in which are made out of a fine material, i think it is like stocking material.
For climing you just roll talc filled ball over your hands and it coats them finely... it is a little less messy than a shake container, you might find it useful for your seals?

Could possibly just cut a piece of stocking and fill it with talc and tie it if you cant find one to buy.

H2Andy:
ok, honestly, how bad is it?

instead of using talc powder for my latex seals, why not use baby powder?

what chemical atrocities could the baby stuff do to my latex seals? i mean,
isn't it good enough for a baby's bottom?

so... how bad of an idea is it to use baby powder in a pinch?

As I understand it, some baby powders are no longer made from talc, but from corn starch. Big difference when they get wet!

Just my $0.02's worth,

I've heard that the Baby Powder has stuff that is not good for the seals...Bull.....
I have been using the baby Powder for years and years with nothing happening with the cuffs or neck seal. I have DUI CF200's and other latex dry suits.
I also use baby Shampoo too. by putting the shampoo on the wrist seals, the hands glide through very easily, and keeps the hands and wrists clean too. Such a deal!
In the Navy many decades ago, we used regular bar soap and a bucket of water to help get the hands through the wrist seals in the MK5 heavy gear. Standard operating proceedures. Later in the modifyed MK5 gear we used the same. I went from the bar soap to liquid dishsoap but after a few months with the stuff rubbing on the wrists it made the wrists red and sore. I went to baby shampoo with no problems at all.
Now that my Daughter dives I went to baby powder and no problems with the wrist seals.........Bill

Back
Top Bottom