Offseason storage -- did I screw up?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Firefighters routinely see temps above 500 with tanks with burst disks. Im still here:wink:

to louis

i learned in my vis class that the moisture could become traped in the tank from letting the air out to fast. i know the moistur on the outside of the tank is not an issue unless you did empty the tank. how the moisture becomes in the tank i am not completly aware of but i guess it has to do with the speed of the air comming out of the tank and the tempture that it becomes while empting. PLEASE correct me where i am wrong so i can understand the dynamics of it. i am not the smartest of technical mumbo jumbo when it comes to this, but do understand the basics. like i said that is what i learned in my PSI class and i stick by it for draining tanks, unless i am goiong to do a vis on it immediatly afterwards, when i will blow air in the tank to push out any remaining foregin material and moisture.

i was just putting the info out there for the OP just for him to know this could happen if he did not pay attention and DID drain the tank completly empty. thats all.

Draining quickly will not form condensation inside the tank unless...

1) (possible) the air inside was not sufficiently "dry" to begin with.

2) (almost certainly) the valve is removed right away, allowing relatively moist, outside air to enter and condense on the still cold walls in the tank.

2) store your tank standing up. in the case moisture did enter the tank the bottom is thicker and will be able to withstand the moisture a little better. if you lay it on the side you risk some broadspread or line corrosion. the sidewall tollarence is not as great as the bottom of the tank and may cause for the tank to be condemed.

About storing tanks upright. Which scenario is worse; potential moisture in tanks or the possibility of knocking one of them over and knocking the valve off? Unless there is a rack and some bungee cords or other restraining devices in place, personally I would leave them left on their side with 500 psi or better and circumvent any risk of my tanks becoming closet-rockets.

Either scenario does not play out well in the event of tank failure however there are ways to make the situation "safer".

Back
Top Bottom