Offshore drilling bill passes house - CONTACT YOUR SENATORS!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DiverBry:
Biodiesel... grease... not just for lunch anymore... plus, with all the new fast food places going up, soon the fast food industry will be able to outpace our need to seek new fossil fuel resources... whaddya think?

McDonalds will have a niche on the market....:lol:

dlndavid:
Many people do care about MPG, and buy accordingly. Those that don't care, don't care. Can you make them? Maybe. How about different tax rates based on MPG? Just a thought.
That's easy ... simply tax a gallon of gasoline the way they do in European countries. Of course, Americans would never stand for it (hint ... they don't drive Hummers and other types of Urban Assault Vehicles in Europe, 'cuz it's too expensive to feed 'em).

Demand is just as much based on supply as the other way around ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Any kind of MPG tax would hurt the working poor as these people will end up with the discarded vehicles which will choke the "We tote the note" lots. We have the SUV problem now because of the gas guzzler tax which expempts vehicles over 6,000 pounds like SUVs. Taxes only cause more problems than they solve.

DiverBry:

Oil floats in water? No reefs in the panhandle.

Ask people in those states if having those rigs offshore has impacted their beaches in recent years. All the problems I've been told about happened long ago.

Most of these rigs aren't even oil rigs, They're all called that, but vast numbers are actually for natural gas.

NWGratefulDiver:
That's easy ... simply tax a gallon of gasoline the way they do in European countries. Of course, Americans would never stand for it (hint ... they don't drive Hummers and other types of Urban Assault Vehicles in Europe, 'cuz it's too expensive to feed 'em).

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I hesitantly agree...The amount avalible for access is the same around the world. I think, forunately or unforunately, size (England vs the US) has a large role to play with this.

In the case of lower supply, demand will stay the same UNLESS there is an comperable alternative. Coffee vs caffinated tea, that sort of industry comparison.

Despite my attempts to stay out of this conversation...

If we're gonna use oil and gas, I'd rather we drill in Alaska and off the coast than have to deal with all the other countries that supply it to us. Personally, I'd also like to see some windmills, solar plants, nuke plants and tidal generators...but that's just me...and it won't happen anyway 'cause all the so-called progressive types don't want to mess up their pretty views with horrible environmentally friendly power sources.

Yeah..that should stir the pot...

:lurk:

Wayward Son:
Oil floats in water? No reefs in the panhandle.

Ask people in those states if having those rigs offshore has impacted their beaches in recent years. All the problems I've been told about happened long ago.

Most of these rigs aren't even oil rigs, They're all called that, but vast numbers are actually for natural gas.

I happen to agree with you... just playing the Devil's advocate...

NWGratefulDiver:

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

You're a little bit off on that...gas prices in Europe have more to do with the supply chain than they do with taxes. You'll also find that the taxes on gasoline in the US are significant enough, about 3x as much of what you pay for gas goes to taxes as goes to profit for the oil companies...not that it matters.

RICoder:
Despite my attempts to stay out of this conversation...

If we're gonna use oil and gas, I'd rather we drill in Alaska and off the coast than have to deal with all the other countries that supply it to us. Personally, I'd also like to see some windmills, solar plants, nuke plants and tidal generators...but that's just me...and it won't happen anyway 'cause all the so-called progressive types don't want to mess up their pretty views with horrible environmentally friendly power sources.

Yeah..that should stir the pot...

:lurk:

hahah, nice stir, but to add to the pot :wink: Don't people in alaska value their wildlife as much as we value our reefs?:coffee:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom