Offshore Express from Ambergris Caye?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
Has anyone been on the Offshore Express, which runs multi-day dive trips from Ambergris Caye? I'm going to Ambergris in August and I would be interested in a multi-day boat trip, and I am interested in hearing about anybody's experiences.

It was a couple of years ago, so perhaps things have changed.

When we boarded early in the morning, the crew were introduced - captain, mate, cook, and a 4th guy. Turns out that the 4th guy was a mechanic going along for the ride because we were leaving port with only one working engine.

4th guy got a workout over the course of our trip. In moderate seas, the one good engine died - several times. Each time he crawled below deck and pounded away until the engine came back to life. One of these little intervals was more than 45 minutes of being adrift.

The crew did mention that the boat was under new ownership and that the new owner was not forthcoming with the necessary money for proper maintenance.

The old Offshore express eventually sank at Half Moon Caye wall and they then purchased the old Manta IV and changed the name to Offshore express 2 and now run trips with that boat which only has 1 Engine a 1271 detroit diesel which is an excellent reliable engine if maintained properly, I know cause I used to own that boat and did many many trips to the blue hole with hardly any breakdowns of the engine.

Not sure how the trip is running with the new offshore though

Chek out the Coral Beach Diveshop when you arrive as thats where the boat is docked

regards

Gaz

I went with Thunderbolt travel. Huge boats with serious horsepower. I was out to the island in 35 minutes!

Ooh, the price was cheaper too!

DIR Tec Diver once bubbled...
I went with Thunderbolt travel. Huge boats with serious horsepower. I was out to the island in 35 minutes!

Ooh, the price was cheaper too!

Is that also an two-day trip?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom