Ogasawara trip report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Geoff_H

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Just back from spending Golden Week on the Ogasawara Islands (also called Bonin Islands), 1000km south of Tokyo and still considered part of Tokyo city. Here is a quick trip report and some pictures.

Our party of 8 departed on the Ogasawara Maru on Saturday at 10am, starting the 25 hour ferry ride from Takeshiba that is currently the only way to reach the the Islands. At 11am on Sunday we arrived on Chichijima and were met by by our dive shop (Urishiman @ http://www.urashiman.com/) and our accommodation owner (Pandanus).

After dropping our gear off and a quick bite of lunch we were off for a checkout dive in the afternoon. Everyones gear and "skills" had survived intact over the winter, and we were treated to some pretty fish, including this Japanese Pygmy Angelfish

japanesepygmyangelfish.jpg

Dinner was in Pandanus, which is a delightful house run an an oba chan in her 80's who cooked us big and tasty dinners every evening. During the course of the week we were to find out she (and her late husband) were the very first settlers on Ogasawara after Japan retook control, that her husband built the house we were staying in with his bare hands, and she showed us pictures of the boats he constructed in the same fashion.

Her original 13 day trip on a small boat to settle on the uninhabited island made us rethink our grumbles about the cramped and overcrowded ferry from Tokyo!

The next day dawned bright and sunny, as was the whole week. We were limited to 2 dives a day, but the boat cruised around the islands and the sun bathing, whale watching and dolphins more than made up for this. More pretty fish, including a "Wrought Iron Butterfly fish" or "Work of Art Butterfly fish" depending on who you believe

wroughtironbutterflyfish.jpg

Next day we took off on a 2 hour ride to the Keita Islands, in search of tuna. After the bumpy ride followed one of the highlights of my diving so far - dropping in on some sharks, then inching our way through a wide fissure to "Tuna hole" - hard to describe but a hollowed out section of rock, 100ft across by 40 feet deep populated by a large school of tuna circling and circling.

tuna.jpg

We spent an entranced 20 minutes watching this, and getting to within a few feet of some big tuna - something I never considered likely. After we backed out, and saw more sharks

shark.jpg

we hung at 5m on the safety stop and listened to the humpback whales singing their haunting songs not so far away.

A week's diving in the clear waters followed, and more sharks, dolphins and whales were seen - as well as countless lobsters, octopus's, parrotfish, groupers, more tuna and even a bull ray

bullray.jpg

Alas, all good things have to come to an end, and while our gear was drying off ont he final Saturday we rented some moped's and did a tour of the island. The highest peak is 317m and affords a wonderful view

ogasawarafromhigh.jpg

When we came to leave, it seemed the whole island turned up to wave us off, and all the dive boats and various other craft flanked the ferry for half an hour or so as we steamed out, waving, playing music, shouting final farewells and then jumping en-masse into the deep blue ocean and carrying on waving from there (them, not us - sadly). We even saw a pair of whales surface, get some air and then wave us goodbye with their massive tails.

I can't wait to start diving in Izu this season either though :)

Fantastic pictures and it looks like a great time!

What was the water temp like? And just curious, why were you limited to 2 dives a day?

22-23 degrees water temp, and we were limited to 2 dives due to the dive boat not being able to carry 3 (or more) tanks for every diver on board.

To be honest I found this a poor excuse - they could have popped back to the dock to reload or had a separate boat bring some extra tanks halfway through the day (they had access to another boat as they used it once to shuttle us to an island to land and look around)

However demand far exceeded capacity in Golden Week so divers had to take what they could get.... no onus on the dive shops to go the extra mile to accommodate us during this time. Judging by the number of tourists on the island, we were lucky to be diving at all.

Despite this, once managed to cram in 3 dives by using up the remaining air in the 1st tank during lunchtime, and by staying shallow (5-8m) could make 70 bar last for 25-35 mins of cruising around taking pictures. Not a perfect situation but just making the best of it.. and there was also a great night dive on offer for one day.

22-23.. nice !

Sad about the number of dives. but shoganai. In ishigaki they wouldn't do any night dives for the silly reason that the 'currents are too strong' of course during the day, they were gentle.... so do currents change at night? Hmmmm I think its just because the guides find it too cold at night or something....

Those sharks look fantastic !

What kind of shark is that? Looks like a small grey nurse? The spots are a bit unfamiliar to me though. Great report, I'm planning to go there myself this year. Is summer any good for diving there?

Hey Geoff, sounds like a super trip. Thanks for providing the write-up. Those tuna must have been amazing. It's hard to believe that they can survive in Japanese water without becoming sashimi.

Do you have the impression that outside of Golden Week you could get more diving in per day there? The excuse sounds like classic Japan fisherman-driven behavior, but I'd be interested if it changes during less-busy times.

Hope to see you in the water again this year, that was a fun trip to Oshima last year with Jim.

Dev

Thanks for the comments guys. I'll email the diveshop and ask what the temp/vis is like in summer.

What I thought was even more amazing than the tuna was the number and size of lobsters we saw. Seemed like we saw at least one lobster on every dive, and on some sites there were huge quantities of them. On one rock alone I counted 10+, and a good size too, at least 50cm on average.

I am sure outside of Golden Week more diving could be done. There were 6 or 7 dive shops on the island, and I guess they would need to compete for customers outside of the peak weeks. Thomas recommended Fisheye as a good shop.

emanuelw:
Great report, I'm planning to go there myself this year. Is summer any good for diving there?

I emailled the shop... I asked a few more specific questions than "is the diving good?" as I guess they would just reply "yes". Here are their answers:

1. Water temperature - 25 degrees in August
2. Visibility - 50m is not uncommon in Aug (I think it was 30m or so last week)
3. There is a festival on the week of 12th - 18th August, which is very popular
4. You can see whales then, but a different type to the ones we saw (we saw humpback, in summer there are sperm whales)

I could certainly be tempted back. Checking my schedule now!

Back
Top Bottom