Oh my, its a big shark...breath slowly

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It would be considerably easier narrowing down the shark type if there were some reference to size. How big is "big"?

Sand tigers (Carcharias taurus) aren't documented larger than ten feet in length. That's KINDA big.

Now a plain old tiger shark (Galeocardo cuvier), those suckers can get TWICE as long!! In fact they usually beat out great whites size-wise.

Gary-

Thx for the pep-talk. I have a lot of respect for Navy divers. One of my regrets is that I never went into the military. I applied for Navy JAG after lawschool, but it was during the Clinton administration and they just weren't recruiting enough of us back then - they only took people with prior military service.

Anyways, as I said, I wish I could have answered everyone's questions, but with the visability being only 20 feet or so and the big fish directly above our heads, it was hard to make out much except for its belly. I would have to estimate it to be over 15 feet though no matter what, but its a tough call considering the andrenaline pumping through my veins.

Also, that link to the whale shark fishers is horrible. It is disgusting how they are overfished and killed in such a cruel manner. Its one of the reasons that I have little hope for the future of our oceans.

EC

Sharks: Why worry? You're probably at greater risk in your car in rush-hour traffic than diving when there's sharks in the water.

That said, don't float on the surface... And if they're feeding, it's high time to git. :D

Volunteer at the SC Aquarium in Charleston here. :D

Your fear comes more from Hollywood than reality. If you want more info, check http://www.DeepSouthDivers.org . Go to "Talk" and then "All About Deep South Divers" and read up on the shark stuff I have there. Ite's in the Frequently Asked Questions.

I'd vote for a great white sighting. Great whites have been sighted there on and off, over the years, so it's not unheard off. It may have hitched ride on the Gulf Stream. My brother and cousin were spearfishing there for flounder about 10 years ago, and the next day, there were reports of Great Whites in there fishing area. You should definitely view your encounter as a blessing! BTW, what was the temp at bottom when you dove? Just curious.

hypothetically speaking,
if you wanted to get a closer look at a shark for identification, is there a proper way to approach one?
is it a good thing to do? would a shark view this as an atttack and respond or retreat?

thanks
dt

A shark would retreat!

They're scavengers. They don't like a fight. They'll approach to see if you're dead or dying, and even bump you first. They'll circle for a while, thinking about it... Your best defense, if you're ever bumped, is to come out flailing. With a knife. In the nose or eyes. They won't be back... They're looking for easy food, and you're neither.

Wanna really scare 'em off? Approach while exhaling bubbles. Nothing underwater exhales bubbles. You look like nothing they've ever seen before. How would you react to a creature exhaling, say... Light... As it approached you? :D

So yeah, you can approach one, but don't expect him to hang around. :D

SeaJay:
They'll approach to see if you're dead or dying, and even bump you first.

LOL, if one was to bump me and he could "smell", he might think i was dead because i would crap all over myself.

steve

Hey, SeaJay... it has been a while since I visited the board... how is (did?) your quest for Guiness going (went?)

Where in LI are you?

I grew up in Westhampton Beach, and although I have done very little diving off Long Island I have fished extensively off there and my wife has several professional fisherman (commercial and sport) in her family.

Three years ago while spear fishing off of Block I saw a mako, not that big though. Large mako sharks were once common in the channel between Montauk and Block althogh they are rarely caught nowadays.

It could be a great white, although they are rare. There was a small one last July spotted right off shore which emptied the waters in Bridgehampton and Easthampton.

I've seen Basking sharks in the area, although not in years.

Whales migrate through the area in September/Oct, not sure when their return trip takes place.

My one brother in law who ran a 50 ft. charter boat out of Montauk for years gave it up a few years back because the large peligic population has dwindled so dramaticaly.

My guess is mako, the most common of the large sharks in that area. (I was working on a dock in the early 90s and a 750lber came in... very impressive fish).

Matt

SeaJay:
How would you react to a creature exhaling, say... Light... As it approached you? :D

would this hypothetical creature be male or female?

and also, would it be offering me a beer?

too many variables here...

Back
Top Bottom