Ohio Wreck Site - North Shore

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MASS-Diver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I heard CADs is running charters to a shallow water scattered wreck site called "Ohio wreck site" somewhere off the North Shore.

Anyone dove there or know anything about it?

I dove that site back in July on a CAD charter (2nd dive site on a 2 tank charter; the first was to Pickett's ledge). It is located just north of Gloucester harbor within 100 yards of the shoreline (although no shore access).

To call it a "wreck" is factually correct, although you will be hard-pressed to find any wreckage. Captain Steve's comment before we went into the water was that you *may* see some wreckage. My buddy Mike and I saw a few items that looked man-made, but we were not sure if they were actual pieces of the wreck -- you definitely had to look HARD.

All that being said, it is a nice site -- very rocky bottom, lots of plant and animal life. Shallow depths running down from 15-20 feet close to shore out to 40-50 farther out, if I remember correctly

One more note, CAD has a wreck book on board the "big" boat that lists basic information suchs as the type of ship it was, size, date sunk, etc. I don't remember any details about the Ohio, but Steve did dhow us that there is a listing for it in the book.

-Chris

Thanks for the info guys. I was hoping to ask them myself this weekend, but, unless the weather foercast changes it looks bad......

Back
Top Bottom