OK, I'll admit I'm interested!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

reefrat

Contributor
Reaction score
Hi all

I already tried to post this thread unsuccessfully so hopefully it won't suddenly appear after I post this one!

Basicly I've been lurking around this rebreather forum for a while trying to convince myself that rebreathers are not for me! This has a lot to do with a guilty conscience in relation to the amount of money I spend on dive gear, cameras, dive travel etc.

But, a recent separation from my wife has left me (among other things) in a position to go a bit nuts until a sense of financial responsibility once again rears it's ugly head.

Fact is, I can't help feeling that a transgression to SCR/CCR is inevitable in the not too distant future (I'm caught in the tractor beam and theres no escape!)

So a few quick questions:
1. Is it better to be thinking about an SCR that can be converted to CCR and become proficient at using an SCR first?
2. Is there anyone in Houston TX that is recommended for SCR/CCR training, or maybe a "Try a Rebreather" experience?
3. Are any Rebreather divers out there based in Houston or thereabouts?

Cheers

reefrat:
Hi all

I already tried to post this thread unsuccessfully so hopefully it won't suddenly appear after I post this one!

Basicly I've been lurking around this rebreather forum for a while trying to convince myself that rebreathers are not for me! This has a lot to do with a guilty conscience in relation to the amount of money I spend on dive gear, cameras, dive travel etc.

But, a recent separation from my wife has left me (among other things) in a position to go a bit nuts until a sense of financial responsibility once again rears it's ugly head.

Fact is, I can't help feeling that a transgression to SCR/CCR is inevitable in the not too distant future (I'm caught in the tractor beam and theres no escape!)

1. Is it better to be thinking about an SCR that can be converted to CCR and become proficient at using an SCR first?
2. Is there anyone in Houston TX that is recommended for SCR/CCR training, or maybe a "Try a Rebreather" experience?

Cheers

I would imagine a search of IANTD/TDI/NAUI sites might reveal a local CCR instructor.

Personally, I would go the CCR route first. Most SCR users gravitate towards CCR's anyway, so missing the SCR step is no biggie. If you really, really wanted to...you can dive a CCR in SCR mode. Drager's, Azimuths and I believe Submatix can be converted to CCR. I am sure Caveseeker has data on that. Me, I like CCR's for use in situations where extended bottom times are necessary, or for video work where bubbles are a major distraction.

If you asked me a couple of years ago I would have said if you unsure go scr then either upgrade or convert. I now believe the benefits of ccr over scr are so great that there is no scr unit out there I would recommend. The only exception is you can sometimes find a dolphin or atlantis on ebay at a very reasonable price and that was how I got into rebreathers. Things are changing quickly in the RB world and I would have said the kiss rules the entry level breather market a year ago. Lately ISC, makers of the megalodon changed all that with the introduction of the copis meg. This unit is priced to compete with the kiss and built like a tank it is a very good unit that can easily be upgraded to eCCR if that is where you decide to go. I have trained on and dove dolphin, inspiration, kiss, and megalodon and currently own a meg and still have my ccr converted dolphin. The meg is, hands down the best rebreather I have seen out there.
I am sure someone might disagree with me though:coffee:

Lots of good, current threads about RBs. I know there is an Aussie looking at models that has posted here and rebreatherworld.com.

Oceanic Ventures on Bissonnet can meet your needs. They sell, train both SCR and CCR. My subjective opinion is to skip the SCR.
YBOD Pilot;
Bill

I have yet to dive a rebreather, but I have obtained mass quantities of knowledge on them. I have a theoretical knowledge base of their operation, bailout, maintenance, advantages/disadvantages...which really doesnt mean squat compared to someone with experience....but I've done the homework and in my opinion a SCR is a waste of time. Yes it is less complicated and cheaper, but the advantages just arent there.

When I take the plunge I'm going CCR with no future intentions of taking the unit past 100ft. I'm interested in only recreational depths at the moment and a CCR will let me extend my bottom time drastically without going into deco, not to mention using much less gas. The Prism has a 5-6 hour scrubber and at 60 feet or so I won't be limited by gas consumption or the scrubber...if my PO2 is 1.3 the CNS clock is around 3 hours..not sure what the no stop time is at 60 feet breathing close to 44% Oxygen....but one of those two factors is going to decide when to come up.

With a SCR you don't get the mose efficient mix throughout the dive, it's pretty much static if your workload is consistent, meaning your PO2 is going to be based on your depth. Last time I checked a PO2 monitor was OPTIONAL on the Dolphin which to me is just CRAZY. Not to mention the constant injection of Nitrox means you will be venting gas throughout the dive where as on a CCR you vent on ascent only.

I'll let the people with more knowledge and experience confirm if my above is accurate.

Some people forget, but this is just my opinion and how I view the jump into rebreathers. The Dolphin and other SCR's out there have their place in the industry and I'm sure there are many happy users. From what I hear most people move on to CCR's anyway...so if you learn on a CCR first you wont look at the extra maintenance and monitoring as a burden compared to SCR's...you'll just be use to it as that's what needs to be done.

Just my .01 worth.

J

jepuskar:
if my PO2 is 1.3 the CNS clock is around 3 hours..not sure what the no stop time is at 60 feet breathing close to 44% Oxygen....but one of those two factors is going to decide when to come up.
You will have to be nitrox trained before taking CCR training and you will learn a concept called equivalent air depth. EAD for 44% mix at 60ft is the same as ~30ft so you can stay down a really long time with that profile depending on which table you consult, some longer than others.

reefrat:
Congratulations that she left you something. :D

I choose to switch directly to CC from OC. SC units have many of the disadvantages of CC units and only very of the advantages, at least the active addition ones.

IANTD has the only searchable data base afaIk.
http://www.iantd.com/search/instructors_search.html
ANDI, TDI and NAUI also offer S & CCR training.
You can contact them directly.

Also some of the manufacturers like Steam Machines (PRISM Topaz) and Closed Circuit Research (Ouroboros) list their instructors on their websites. For the PRISM for example the only instructor in TX is Tim O'Leary on South Padre Island.

Yes, there are a couple. They may see your post here, or you can find them following the link in my signature. We have a Google map at RBW where members can mark their location.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom