Ok, mounting a canister light

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TSandM

Missed and loved by many.
Rest in Peace
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
So, I'm still trying to decide what to buy.

My LDS, which is excellent, would like me to buy a Green Force 10W HID light. They like the design, and think the light is well-made and unlikely to flood. They are also dealers for Nite Rider, which is the design I used on Wednesday, so there's no conflict there.

The Nite Rider light, with its rectangular battery box, clipped neatly onto the belt strap of my Libra BCD. The light head was very small and light.

The Green Force light has a true canister (cylindrical) with two D-rings to mount it to something . . . but I'm not sure WHAT. The on/off modality is done by screwing in the light head, so reaching the switch isn't an issue. I'm just not sure what I can attach this thing to. I had a chance to DIVE the Nite Rider (thanks, Bob) but the LDS, although they bend over backward in customer service (i.e. I'm diving the UK Light Cannon as a demo tomorrow), isn't rash enough to let me take the Green Force light out to play with :)

When the shop owner was asked how to solve this problem, he said basically that you attach it where you CAN, and that most people who have a light like this are getting into tech diving and using a BP/W setup.

Anybody with any good ideas? (Other than jettisoning my existing gear, that is!)

TSandM:

My LDS, which is excellent, would like me to buy a Green Force 10W HID light. They like the design, and think the light is well-made and unlikely to flood. They are also dealers for Nite Rider, which is the design I used on Wednesday, so there's no conflict there.

The Nite Rider light, with its rectangular battery box, clipped neatly onto the belt strap of my Libra BCD. The light head was very small and light.

The Green Force light has a true canister (cylindrical) with two D-rings to mount it to something . . . but I'm not sure WHAT. The on/off modality is done by screwing in the light head, so reaching the switch isn't an issue. I'm just not sure what I can attach this thing to. I had a chance to DIVE the Nite Rider (thanks, Bob) but the LDS, although they bend over backward in customer service (i.e. I'm diving the UK Light Cannon as a demo tomorrow), isn't rash enough to let me take the Green Force light out to play with :)

When the shop owner was asked how to solve this problem, he said basically that you attach it where you CAN, and that most people who have a light like this are getting into tech diving and using a BP/W setup.

Anybody with any good ideas? (Other than jettisoning my existing gear, that is!)

Maybe something like this it goes between your tank and your tank strap if you have no way to mount it to your bc..

http://groups.msn.com/Divelight/budgiestorch.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=729

TSandM:

Hi TSandM,

I use the Greenforce umbilical light system with an Impact 100 HID lighthead and a F3 battery pack. Its not clear from your description as to which Greenforce battery you mean, but there are various cam band/cylinder mounting options available the most popular of which fits together with male/female SS mounting plates. This is very similar to a pony bottle mounting kit. Greenforce light heads are designed to be screwed on directly to their battery packs, therefore giving the option to use the light as an umbilical or lantern. Here is the link to the UK distributor's web pages showing the various options. A BP/wings is not required for mounting the battery pack, although it can be connected via quick links to the mounting holes on the edges of most backplates. Hope this helps.

http://www.lumb-bros-das.co.uk/acatalog/Attachments_Systems.html

http://www.green-force.com/English/index.html

Regards,

Charles

TSandM:

TSandM,
What rig are you currently diving? The Libra exclusively?

The bottom line is that cannister lights can be problematic for your basic recreational rig. Mounting the cannister to your tank, where you cannot reach it, is not a swell idea.

The small NiteRider units can be useful, I've seen and used them. Not a bad option if it fits your harness. I'm not a fan of Greenforce, not because they suck but because there are simply much better products out there.

If you want a can light, look at Barry Miller's at Salvo. Howard (Sandho) used to make some good ones, tho' I think he's out of it now, Halcyon/EE makes excellent products, and Terkel makes a good one. Sartek makes great lights. I don't prefer DiveRite or OMS, however, for certain women the long OMS battery cannister attached to the right side of their bp works extremely well, far better than a waist-mounted cannister.

OTOH, if you have no place to conveniently put a can light on your rig then it's irrelevant. (What you don't want to do is duct-tape it to your manifold, butt-mount it, bungee the thing to your tank, or some other convoluted cluster because you have no waistbelt to put it on!)

Get a different light, or get a different rig. :D

TSandM:

Don't know which battery pack you are considering, but the F-II comes with a bag and strap which mounts onto your tank. Works nicely for me, and if you go over to a BP/wing system you can then mount it on a belt. I'd definitely get the F-II battery with the HID50 (10w) lamphead - I mean when do you need more than 4 hours light?
:)

I actually ended up buying the Nite Rider because it avoided the problem, and I'm very happy with it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom