OK safe so, got 7 days to dive, which Thai islands to best to visit in November???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Madison S

Registered
Reaction score
BTW, Thanks for the feedback on my previous questions!

From what I’ve read thus far, late November/December is going to be jammed with tourists. Unfortunately, that’s pretty much the only time we can go this year. My hubby & I are allocating 7 days for diving. What islands offer the best combined experience for diving & amazing scenery like beautiful beaches lined with Coconut Palm trees!!!

I understand that Phuket is a tourist trap, is that reason enough to bypass it altogether?

How about Ko Phi Phi?

One Scuba Board member suggested that the Simian Islands are a good choice.

(Our experience level: We’re beginners with roughly 25 dives under our belt. We’ve done drift diving in Cozumel & Bonaire. And have experienced a live-aboard trip in Australia).

HELP!

Madison S

I dived on the similans on a short break from doing my divemaster course whilst out in thailand, thoroughly recommend diving the similans.. I found it far better than the diving I did on the gbr in Oz. Great viz, loads of fish, lots of leopard sharks and manta rays (I saw the former but managed to miss the latter lol). Great time on the liveaboards as you're away from everything, can moor up next to a deserted beach every day and often you will have dive sites almost to yourself.

Having done drift diving you should be well prepared for a few of the dive sites that do have strong currents.

Ko phi phi is peak time around nov dec so prices go up and gets pretty crowded. If you haven't done many dives the diving from phi phi is not to bad very little current shallow easy reef dives. I have been there at the end of the rainy season october wich was still good only rain a bit in the afternoon if it rains all day just go diving, not crowded and still have low season prices on accom. Am going back this year in october again.

If you want to get away from the crowds try a liveaboard look at this site to go to the similians they even have prices in $us so can budget pretty easily
http://www.moskitodiving.com/liveaboard/index.htm

Madison S:
BTW, Thanks for the feedback on my previous questions!

From what I’ve read thus far, late November/December is going to be jammed with tourists. Unfortunately, that’s pretty much the only time we can go this year. My hubby & I are allocating 7 days for diving. What islands offer the best combined experience for diving & amazing scenery like beautiful beaches lined with Coconut Palm trees!!!

I understand that Phuket is a tourist trap, is that reason enough to bypass it altogether?

How about Ko Phi Phi?

One Scuba Board member suggested that the Simian Islands are a good choice.

(Our experience level: We’re beginners with roughly 25 dives under our belt. We’ve done drift diving in Cozumel & Bonaire. And have experienced a live-aboard trip in Australia).

HELP!

Madison S

Madison - The Similan Islands as well as Koh Bon, Koh Tachai and Richelieu Rock undoubtedly offer the best diving in Thailand! Although there are shorter cruises or daytrips to The Similans you should rather opt for a minimum 4 day/4 night cruise. The reputable and professional Liveaboard prices start from about 21000 baht or 525 US (exc equipment rental and Similan park fees @ about5 US per day). There are so many Liveaboard options from low budget to medium and sheer luxury.

You might want to upgrade your certification level on a cruise as advanced education is offerred on all the boats at discounted prices.

I recommend that you check out the possibilites via the search engines and see which Liveaboards and what kind of services you are offerred. Also check out the dive sites.This way you can see what boat suits your requirements and who you prefer to deal with. One thing for sure is that last high season Manta's were regular dive buddies at Koh Bon and Koh Ta Chai!!!

Otherwise November and December are our busier months and if you do decide to come to Phuket consider staying at the southern most beaches such as Karon, Kata, Kata Noi and Nai Harn beaches rather than the hectic Patong areas.

Hope this helps...

Well, Phuket is no more of a tourist trap than Koh Tao or Koh Phi Phi, it's just there's more ugly concrete esp. in Patong beach. In any case, if you are out diving at the Similan Islands, you will be away from all that. Avoid end of December if you don't like crowds. Liveaboards generally run 4 days. Some have 6 day combinations including not only Similan and Richelieu Rock, but also Hin Daeng/Hin Muang and Phi Phi. 6 days on Colona VI or Mermaid II about 990 U$. A night or two in a hotel, as Ringo Starr says (hey, bet you didn't know he lives here now..), best to stay in Kata/Karon than Patong unless you love night life and can't live without McDonalds and Starbucks.

Many liveaboard options. Be sure you know what you're getting. Standards vary considerably. Ask some questions - how many guests? How many guides? Do you want en suite bathrooms in cabins? etc..

Hope you enjoy Thailand...

Ringo:
Madison - The Similan Islands as well as Koh Bon, Koh Tachai and Richelieu Rock undoubtedly offer the best diving in Thailand! Although there are shorter cruises or daytrips to The Similans you should rather opt for a minimum 4 day/4 night cruise. The reputable and professional Liveaboard prices start from about 21000 baht or 525 US (exc equipment rental and Similan park fees @ about5 US per day). There are so many Liveaboard options from low budget to medium and sheer luxury.

You might want to upgrade your certification level on a cruise as advanced education is offerred on all the boats at discounted prices.

I recommend that you check out the possibilites via the search engines and see which Liveaboards and what kind of services you are offerred. Also check out the dive sites.This way you can see what boat suits your requirements and who you prefer to deal with. One thing for sure is that last high season Manta's were regular dive buddies at Koh Bon and Koh Ta Chai!!!

Otherwise November and December are our busier months and if you do decide to come to Phuket consider staying at the southern most beaches such as Karon, Kata, Kata Noi and Nai Harn beaches rather than the hectic Patong areas.

Hope this helps...

Wow! Thanks Ringo! That is the type of detailed info that really helps me out! Swimming with Manta rays!! That would be amazing! I'm going to begin my search for a high-end live aboards only. Don't want to be traveling on a mildew smelling vessel for 4 days!!

Madison S:
I'm going to begin my search for a high-end live aboards only. Don't want to be traveling on a mildew smelling vessel for 4 days!!

Madison,
I felt the exact same way. I went for the high-end liveaboards too. Didn't want to deal with stinky conditions either. We narrowed down to 4 choices, Viking of the Orient, M/V Panunee, Aqua One and Ocean Rover II. Then down to 2: Viking or Panunee, but we finalized it with Viking. And I did not regret it at all! It was a great boat, very well kept. Each room had it's own bathroom, unlike the Panunee which I think is shared bathrooms.

Marine Project which caters to Japanese people looked very nice from the outside since they were at a few of the site we dove at the same time. UNTIL...the captain of their boat nearly killed us by nearly running us over as our dingy was picking up the divers after a dive. The captain said he was busy watching the monitors of their divers getting off the boat. OK....what about everyone else???

Anyway we picked Viking and booked it directly with them. It seemed like if you book with them directly you can bargain more with them. Their website is www.viking-liveaboards.com. Otherwise, I've heard good things from other people that these other websites were reliable resellers of liveaboards: www.highclass-adventure.com and www.siamdivers.com

Keep us posted on which you decide to go. I'm especially curious if you select one of the other boats we considered. I would like to hear about what you think of those boats after your trip.

Have fun! I'm still so jealous...
:dazzler1:

Madison S:
Wow! Thanks Ringo! That is the type of detailed info that really helps me out! Swimming with Manta rays!! That would be amazing! I'm going to begin my search for a high-end live aboards only. Don't want to be traveling on a mildew smelling vessel for 4 days!!

Only a pleasure Madison!! Apart from the more luxurious boats you can also get good value for money cruises. By the way to correct Sunrise - I happen to be a SHE - and am more than happy to offer advice about Phuket and Thailand since it is obvious that I live and work here. So if you need any further info please don't hesiate....

Otherwise good luck with your search and have a wonderful holiday. In the meantime count down the days!!!

Ringo:
Only a pleasure Madison!! Apart from the more luxurious boats you can also get good value for money cruises. By the way to correct Sunrise - I happen to be a SHE - and am more than happy to offer advice about Phuket and Thailand since it is obvious that I live and work here. So if you need any further info please don't hesiate....

Otherwise good luck with your search and have a wonderful holiday. In the meantime count down the days!!!

Thanks again Ringo & ahplee,
I'm going to look into both of your suggestions. My hubby & I are looking for either a luxury/high end-type trip or a highly recommended boat that's good, but not necessarily expensive. (Reason being - we spent our honeymoon on a cruise to the Galapagos Islands and our "honeymoon" cabin smelled a tad bit mildewy & was next to the achor, which we heard every morning bright & early. It was comepletely fascinating trip nonetheless. I wish I had been a diver for that trip!) Anyway, I'm looking for something nice & clean where you can eat the food & not get sick.

Madison S

Back
Top Bottom