OK safe so, got 7 days to dive, which Thai islands to best to visit in November???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Have to say Similans is great diving, have done three trips up there and the diving has always been good
1st trip loads of mantas
2nd time whale sharks
3rd time was leopard sharks in abundance

The 4 day trips are good, but if you can get a longer trip they will usually spend more time at richelieu / koh bon / koh tachai which are better spots for the big stuff

If do end up staying in the Patong area on your return to shore then, splash out (well the food is reasonable price but drinks add up) on a meal at the Ban Rim Pa, it is on the clifftop looking out over the sea, book a table with a view for sunset

ahplee,
I see that you chose the viking. I was leaning towards the ocean rover, especially with Mark Strickland. However seeing that you had such a good time I wanted to ask what made up your mind to go with the viking?

Jack

Albion's advice is very good, the similans are so awesome you'll want to spend as long there as you can. I can honestly say Richelieu Rock is the best dive site (for me) Ive done to date.

Besides the wonderful Richelieu Rock, if you dive the Similans don't miss East Of Eden as a dive site, it's so pretty.

Also if you want a great high end liveaboard think about Mermaid I. A nicer boat than the already fairly decent Mermaid II, it has proper beds, not bunks, a good sized bathroom, complimentarty soft drinks, and a TV and VCD player in each cabin. And the food is just wonderful. Definitely the best boat I've had the chance to be on.

Hi...

Can't help reading all the comments on Similan cos I am planning to visit that area in November as well.

I would like to enquire though - as i have passed my open water about a year ago and i haven't dived since then, would the Similans be a problem for a beginner? I have read that parts of the Similans experience strong currents. Does anyone have any advice on this?

Cheers,
Julian

Julian, might be a good idea (I think) to do your advanced first - one of the main reasons being that there are some excellent sites there where you can see so much more by going deeper than 18 metres. The liveaboard operations are very safety concious and I doubt they would be likely to let a diver go 18m + without experience / qual.

As for the currents, yes they can on several sites be particularly strenuous, doing your advanced prob wont equip you any better to deal with such a situation, this is a case where I think experience and overall fitness are more important. That said, Ive dived some sites there with some very unfit people who did ok.

For the land-based location, Phuket and Phi Phi would be crowded. especially Phi Phi is only a small island. Go to Khao Lak, about 1-2 hrs drive from Phuket. It is also the jump off point to Similans.

You can do daytrips from Khao Lak to Similans but it is expensive and long boat ride (2 hrs each way from Khao Lak).

So liveaboard is a better option.

I also found diving at Cozumel is a lot better than Similans although Similans is the best in Thailand. I appreciate the friendly Thais, nice spa, massage and food in Thailand than its diving.

Enjoy your trip!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom