Okinawa

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pakman:
I just @ss-umed you were as well considering the superman pose and uber buoyancy control in your avatar... :wink:

I also follow the ways of the "men in black" as you say. :14:

No worries, man. Sometimes this posting thing comes across in ways we don't mean and people take things in different ways than intended.

I think all of us love diving enough to go along and get along. I don't think anyone has all of the answers, but there are some ideas out there that are almost guarenteed to end up in disaster. My idea is that I want to learn as much as I can about a rather hazardous sport to make my chances of returning to my wife, daughter and (almost born) son a whole lot better... I learn from every source that I can.

I think the original idea of the thread is where to go diving. Being in Okinawa, I have to admit that I am partial to this area. I've dove in the mainland US, Hawaii, and here. Of all of the places I've been, I think this is probably the best that I have seen. I've never dove in the P.I. I did go there on a US Navy ship back in 94 and spent several weeks in the jungles of Panay) but never got a chance to SCUBA dive there. Really wish that I would have gotten the chance!

frogoutofwater:
Thanks for the alternative suggestion, pakman. Do you have any advice on whether I could find dive shops/dive sites near Cebu that would suit a novice, solo diver (about 30 post-certification dives) who (a) prefers a "full-service" diving experience on boats (e.g. a shop that hauls your gear down to and back from the boat, uses a well-equipped boat - preferably with a WC, and has attentive and prudent divemasters leading the dives); (b) is phobic about mosquitoes; and (c) prefers her accommodation to be relatively high-end (e.g. 3* or better) and with real walls (e.g. not for her a charming, thatched, indoor-outdoor living bungalow on the beach? (I know that makes me sound like a princess, but I'll be travelling by myself, without my rugged and chivalrous husband/regular dive buddy.)

Can take care of all of those things here on Okinawa for you. Even have resorts with spa just minutes from the port. Boat is large 60ft with hot water showers and two w/cs. Not a lot of mosquitoes here either.

Ben_ca:
I don't think Novice and Solo Diver go together :)

Thank you all, for pointing out the boo-boo. I did indeed mean novice, buddy-less diver, not novice solo diver. Some people would be peeved to have their typos/misuse of terminology pointed out, but not me. (I used to work at a law firm that considered proofreading to be a competitive sport, so I have learned to accept corrections with grace and gratitude.)

Suggestions here and on a more general travel discussion board suggest that the Ryukyu Islands are best match for my interests (leaving aside the potential for typhoons), so I'll start doing a little more focused research once I know more about the travel arrangements for the business portion of the trip. I think Mr. frogoutwater wants to visit the Philippines, so I'll save that trip for our upcoming RTW.

I lived in okinawa for a year and a half making hundreds of dives. It is hands down the best diving that is the least talked. Everything from sea snakes to lion fish, parrot fish, trumpet fish, cuddle fish, clown fish. You name it. Although I never saw any shark. There are caves to explore, wall diving, drift diving. Lots of life both shallow and deep. Many different kinds of coral, and the visability is bar none the best I've ever seen. You need to do nothing more to find a great divespot there than just jump in the water. My personal favorite was the toilet bowl. I can't wait to get back to oki for some exellent diving, if you are going there, you will have my envy.

im currently stationed in okinawa an just got my cert. theres some great places to dive id recommend kadena stepps, junk yard ( both dive places are in the same area so u can hit all of em in a day) now meda point is also a great place to dive as well in fact my fav but its pain in the rear to get to theres also devils cove and ALOT more i think around 17-20 dive sites. if you ever do go there i can get you on base to rent/buy any equipment that you need. tanks for a day are like 5$ each msg me back if you ever go (that goes for anyone japan is expensive) also can get you a hotel on base as well

jeremy
Hoorah!!

Back
Top Bottom