Old Eyes

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

165tyler

New
Reaction score
I'm a brand-new diver who needs advice on which dive computer, gauges, compass would be easiest for me to read.
I now wear prescription reading glasses because of a condition my optometrist referred to as Old Eyes (it's so nice getting old!)

Haven't invested in prescription mask yet, which may be the way to go.
Advice on what I should do about prescription mask is also welcome - biofocal or straight reading lenses.

I tried on someone else's biofocal mask and found it difficult to use, if not impossible for me. I wear my glasses most of the day even though I can't see distances as I am generally in front of the computer.

My first open dive is on Saturday in Gloucester. I'm expecting it to be totally thrilling!

I have 2 computers, an Aeris Atmos ai and an Oceanic Versa Pro, they both have large numbers and are very easy to read and access all information. If you want an air integrated computer, I would recommend an atmos ai, if you don't care about air integration, an aeris atmos 2 or oceanic versa pro would be great.

WELCOME to the board.

Let me guess, around 40 are you? Reading glasses are a pain.
Eventually you will have to resort to some form of lenses to see your gauges. I started with simple stick in bifocal inserts but after I got tired of them coming loose and because my eyes got weaker I had to resort to a mask with a full perscription, both for distance and a bifocal for reading the gauges and camera. You get use to bifocals after a while but they do need to be the correct strength for you. If you decide to go the prescription mask route, I have had really good dealing with these Prescription Dive Mask.
http://www.prescriptiondivemasks.com/

many of my dive equipment decisions are based on my sight. My (over 40 ) eyes need a little help when underwater. Computers I use: Aries Atmos II, Suunto Vytec, HS Explorer. Computer I can't use diverite nitek, VR3. I have considered corrective lenses but have not installed them yet.

Welcome,

I would recommend getting what ever computer you like with out worrying about being able to see it.

You will need to do something about the vision issue just for normal diving with gauges, dive watch and such.

I just bought wrist mounted dive computer and found out that my arm is getting too short.

I will probably be able to make it a few more years but I am definitely in the market for either arm extensions or some kind of prescription mask or insert.

I spent the money on the pretty computer I would be a shame not to be able to see it.

To bad a hand held magnifying glass won't work underwater. :D

165tyler:
I'm a brand-new diver who needs advice on which dive computer, gauges, compass would be easiest for me to read.
I now wear prescription reading glasses because of a condition my optometrist referred to as Old Eyes (it's so nice getting old!)

Haven't invested in prescription mask yet, which may be the way to go.
Advice on what I should do about prescription mask is also welcome - biofocal or straight reading lenses.

I tried on someone else's biofocal mask and found it difficult to use, if not impossible for me. I wear my glasses most of the day even though I can't see distances as I am generally in front of the computer.

My first open dive is on Saturday in Gloucester. I'm expecting it to be totally thrilling!

Once upon a time I used contacts. But when I got to the bifocal stage, that wasn't really an option. So switched to using bifocal lenses in my mask. Both the mask & the lenses are from Seavision.

Is it a bit of an adjustment? Yes. But they work VERY well. AAMOF we do a fair bit of u/w photog and WITHOUT the bifocals even seeing the screen on the housing to TAKE the pictures would be impossible.

Bonne chance,

My husband and I are in our 50's and recently certified. We bought Suunto Cobras because we could easily see the numbers. My husband also has the bifocal inserts in his mask -- the nice thing about them is that you can trim their shape and locate them wherever they work best for you in the mask.

Yeah, welcome to SB!

No easy answer, nor even one best answer.

In my experience, just because you need reading correction for presbyopia in the air, that won't necessarily mean you'll need it for diving. Because of water's magnification effect, I think.

I'm 51, and very nearsighted. And I'm now up to 2 diopters of progressive reading correction in my glasses. But I dive with straight spherical corrective lenses in my mask, with no astigmatism or "reading" correction. And I see my gauges and computer just fine. At least for now.

The "hockey puck" computers seem to have nice large numbers -- Oceanic, Aeris, etc.

Lke they say, YMMV.

--Marek

The Aeris Atmos AI and the Oceanic ProPlus 2 computers have the largest display screen I have seen.

165tyler,

I've solved this universal and eternal problem with the combined use of a Sea-Vision mask and Oceanic Data Max Pro Plus computer with my Suunto SK7 compass on a retractor (when a compass is needed)

the K

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom