Wanted Old Luxfer or WK scuba bottles - NTEX

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OMyMyOHellYes

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Just wondering. An old (pre '88 DOB hydro) Luxfer or WK aluminium tank someone wants to get rid of. Hopefully north central Texas area. Size not so important.

OMMOHY

I have a WK. Not the normal one w/the weird neck. I can send a pic if needed. 80cuft.

What the hell you want this thing for?

bob

I have a WK. Not the normal one w/the weird neck. I can send a pic if needed. 80cuft.

What the hell you want this thing for?
From a DM, I don't think I'm sharing anything private:

"I'm really looking for tanks that are just in the way, not really divable, that someone just want gone and out of the way. I need a shop fixture to hold valves for torqueing valve stem packings and burst disks when I rebuild valves"

He basically needs a scrap tank.

But any failed tank will work for that. I can put my hands on 100s. Cant imagine he cant find one even in TX...well...maybe not in north central....

But any failed tank will work for that. I can put my hands on 100s. Cant imagine he cant find one even in TX...well...maybe not in north central....
Sometimes it's knowing the right question to ask, or knowing where to look. I DM'ed him a few suggestions, but I'm sure he'd welcome more!

For example, if you want free buckets, a great place is bakeries. They regularly get materials like icing or dough in buckets, and then throw out the buckets.

I know this shocks most folks, but North Central Texas is not exactly a dive mecca. There are couple of mud holes and that's it up here. Got my OW in one with about 3-5' viz.

Most all my tanks are craigslist or eBay saves. Got em hydroed and then cleaned them up pretty good, VIP stickered them and then put on new valves and voila a wall full of tanks. A couple of the valves I got were the wrong pressure rating for the tanks I have so I started swapping out burst disks, then rebuilding valves, and so I want a bottle that is mostly trash to hold valves when I torque the stem packing nut or the burst disk.

Most of the stuff I find locally, if it includes tanks, the folks are wanting to unload their whole box of 20-30 year old once used scuba crap. Never mind that the arm of that wet suit they stored balled up in a 147 degree attic for the last two-dozen Texas summers is so rotted it has almost totally cracked off. And they want current full retail prices. Maybe more since their stuff is likely high-value collector grade equipment.

I want none of their soft stuff, and a lot of the time, they are not willing to part any of it out. The tanks I've bought, I've bought really cheap, explaining they're out of hydro, that local shops charge $60 for a hydro/VIP/fill. Plus a valve rebuild for $20 + parts kit. So that right there is $80 to 100 just to get the old one up to usable condition. New I can get delivered for $200. So I'll offer $45-50 for an old but otherwise servicable tank. A few I got look brand freaking new. A couple were. Just old. I figure if I get a 6351 tank, I won't be tempted to "fix' it. To my knowledge, there's no shop up here that will even hydro an old, pre 1990 AL tank. Koetter Fire does tanks for virtually every single LDS of which I'm aware. The 1990 is their shop policy.

I've looked every day for a year. One local 6351 tank that's surfaced. The guy wanted $150. I explained its value in the local market and offered him about $10 more than recycle AL value for it, with me coming to schlep it off. He got real snotty and told me he would just as soon take it down to be recycled himself than sell it to me at the reasonable price I offered So I still look. One will eventually surface that I will snag.

OMMOHY

I sell regulator display stands made from old scuba tanks for $39 shipped to your door.
It is basically the top half of a bad alloy 80 with a valve installed.
Just an option if you can't find one locally.
I have piles and piles of junk tanks behind my garage, probably literally 50 of them at the moment.

You can have one from my pile that is a WK or Luxfer. Shipping will be a few dollars but we can discuss it if you want one.
The above option is probably better, honestly--if you have a place to mount it.

OK - Found this on the door stoop when I got home. A 1988 model Lux 80. But the thing is, it's still gonna be a divable tank for a long time yet. REAL clean interior. Cleaner than some new tanks I've seen. Fiddy bux. Nudder bargain score on seaBay.

Still in the search for an older one, hopefully smaller. Anybody seen Flabob? I have a message out to him ...

1667871776225.png

Okay, I thought once an AL 80 was that old, you couldn't get it filled anymore. How is that still a diveable tank?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom