Old regs, worth playing with?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I just checked my Calypso, which is exactly the same as depicted, and yes all you need to do is to unscrew that inside piece. It is called the "Body Bushing," and it holds the "Orifice Seat" in place. More later, including a parts diagram.

SeaRat

Attachments

• Viking 40 Exploded View.jpg
    Viking 40 Exploded View.jpg
    377 KB · Views: 84
  • Viking 40 Parts List.jpg
    Viking 40 Parts List.jpg
    380.8 KB · Views: 79
Last edited:
I put the Aquarius back together today and put it on a tank to try out.

As I took the reg apart the first time I snapped the o-ring number 14 seen in the attached pic. When I opened the tank there was a hiss from the first stage, but everything other than that operated as normal. I did not mess with putting the diaphragm on the second stage back on. With any luck I will tear it down and replace the o-rings, and diaphragm.

On the fist stage of the Viking 40, I just cant get that thing I mentioned in the previous post out. I have accidentally taken a few chunks out of it with a screwdriver trying to unscrew it.

Attachments

• missing_part.jpg
    missing_part.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 104
I just checked my Calypso, which is exactly the same as depicted, and yes all you need to do is to unscrew that inside piece. It is called the "Body Bushing," and it holds the "Orifice Seat" in place. More later, including a parts diagram.

SeaRat

I have the diagram and instructions and thats what I thought, but I just cant get the stupid thing out. I asked here hoping I was reading the instructions wrong, or there was a trick to it, but geeze that thing is in there.

Try using a penetrating oil on it. You'll need to remove the oil completely, but it may help get it out initially. They need to be screwed in pretty tight, as they seal against what looks like a teflon washer (white plastic). So the oil may help, especially if you are patient and let it sit for a while. But again, you will need to remove all remnants of that oil from the regulator before assembling it again if you use it. The other way, of course, is simply to "horse" it out with a bit more elbow grease.

SeaRat

Try using a penetrating oil on it. You'll need to remove the oil completely, but it may help get it out initially. They need to be screwed in pretty tight, as they seal against what looks like a teflon washer (white plastic). So the oil may help, especially if you are patient and let it sit for a while. But again, you will need to remove all remnants of that oil from the regulator before assembling it again if you use it. The other way, of course, is simply to "horse" it out with a bit more elbow grease.

SeaRat

Alright, I will try that. I was not sure how bad oil would be.

On second thought, don't use the oil. It could be a pain to get rid of. Looking at your photo, I don't think you have too much corrosion inside, so just get the largest screwdriver you can find that will fit, and a bulbous handle, and take it out. It should not take too much to get it moving.

SeaRat

Drip a little vinegar into the threads to dissolve any corrosion. That has always done it for me in the past with stuck parts on old regs I bought.

BTW, o-rings don't "snap"! If it snapped, it was brittle, and ALL the o-rings need to be replaced for sure!

I put the Aquarius back together today and put it on a tank to try out.

As I took the reg apart the first time I snapped the o-ring number 14 seen in the attached pic. When I opened the tank there was a hiss from the first stage, but everything other than that operated as normal. I did not mess with putting the diaphragm on the second stage back on. With any luck I will tear it down and replace the o-rings, and diaphragm.

On the fist stage of the Viking 40, I just cant get that thing I mentioned in the previous post out. I have accidentally taken a few chunks out of it with a screwdriver trying to unscrew it.
That little O-ring is necessary to keep the pressurized air out of the water side of the regulator, and also to keep the water out of the breathing side of the regulator.

SeaRat

Yep, if that little O ring snapped, that's a very good sign that all the O rings should be replaced. They are probably all original equipment.

Yep, if that little O ring snapped, that's a very good sign that all the O rings should be replaced. They are probably all original equipment.

slonda828 got back to me, he is no longer offering the rebuild kits for the Aquarius.

So how do I find out what kind (type, size, whatever...) o-rings I need, and any ideas on where to find a replacement diaphragm?

I have a caliper so I guess I can just measure the o-rings.

Back
Top Bottom