Old Tank I bought??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sailnj

Reaction score
I just bought an old tank and wanted some more info on it.

This is what is stamped on the side

ICC 3AA 2150
RENE

4 56+
9 - 64
then more dates thru the 70's, 80's, and 90's to final one at 8 01

Other side as

US DIVERS
1045 BROXTON
L.A. 24 CAL

What's the deal with this tank - it looks nice, been recently painted. The valve is bizarre - it's got exposed threads with teflon or something where it goes into the tank and the valve handle is this little black knob with two wings on the top of the valve casting. My 1st stage fits on a seems to work fine. Can I replace this with a K- valve??? Or should I just use this to inflate tires.

What you have is a US Divers tank made in 1956, & that IS a k-valve.
Valve has 1/2" NGT threads, best way to wreck 'em is to use too much teflon & tweak the thread tips.
It's still in hydro, but keep an eye on anyone doing a visual. The proper wrench placement is to have a wrench jaw in contact with the valve face. Honking on it with jaws on either side can deform the edges/corners, making a reg difficult to seat.
Next hydro, ask to have it tested to the "+" rating so you can get the full 10% overfill & get the full 72 cu. ft. in it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom