Older lens mount compatability

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gert7to3

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Are Nikon's current DSLR mounts compatible with older lenses, say from a F3?

I would assume that nothing such as aperture would be automated, but would older lenses even fit or focus with the current monunt?

In general, yes, they will mount. You may not have all the functions, depending on how old they
are. D40, D40x, and D60 won't autofocus (they don't have a pin drive for the older autofocus
lenses). If they are really old and don't have contacts, you may be in full manual only, with
no metering (but histograms will still work).

Adm. Linda has a D40 that she uses with a 70-210 zoom (one I inherited 13 years ago) for wildlife
photography.

The details depend on the exact DSLR and lens (and vintage of the lens). I'd suggest some
searching on Nikon's website, be sure to read all the fine print and there's a ton of it. Nikon would
do themselves a favor to have "pick the camera on the left side and the lens on the right side and
we'll tell you how it will work" on their website.

Nikon's been pretty good about keeping their glass and cameras compatible compatible.

MMMM, time for a test. OK, back. I just got the Nikon 50mm f/1.4 I bought with my first Nikon
F in 1972 and put it on the D70. It worked. Full manual focus and aperture, no metering (though
I dialed the exposure right in with the histogram.

Next test: my 80-400 ImageStabilized, still in the Nikon lineup.. Seemed to work fine with the
F (which I had a heck of a time finding, and was really worried that it had disappeared), though
of course no image stabilization. I can't be 100% certain because the F didn't have film in it.

Next test the 18-70 (or whatever) kit lens that came with the D70. Full aperture worked, but
the lens has no aperture ring, and no stopdown lever, so you would have to shoot wide open

Canon, on the other hand, is on their third mount (breechlock, bayonet, EOS) since 1972. Linda
has several older Canon lenses, and the fact that they were obsoleted pushed her to Nikon (since
she can raid my lens collection)

The D3 in particular is working very well with older lenses, but as chuck pointed out, "current mount" yes in all instances - but depending on which lenses, you may not have all the control over them. However, the old Nikon lenses are great glass and worth trying out.

The net net - get a new Nikon DSLR, don't worry about compatibility issues. Some lenses will work great, others will be limited, but you'll be really happy with the cameras and inevitably need a few new lenses anyway. Go for it, you won't regret it

I use a couple of older manual focus, non-CPU lenses on my D300. The D300 has a non-CPU lens setting. You can tell the camera the focal length and maximum aperture and it will meter in "A" mode, and will adjust your aperture readout correctly when you manually change the aperture. It lets you set several Non-CPU lenses and number them. It will not give correct focal distance on a zoom lens, however. It will only give you the maximum focal distance that you programmed in. With prime lenses, it doesn't matter. Obviously, you can't use "S" or "P" mode because the camera can't change the aperture for you on lenses that were designed with only a manual aperture adjustment.

Another good one Here as well. Since you mentioned the F3, pay particular attention to the "F3AF" column -- seems that the F3AF lenses are real bastard children that aren't compatible with much of anything, so be careful there.

Hi, first post.

Most anything that is AI or newer will work on most dSLR's. There is good info above about retaining features, auto-focus, entering lens info into certain cameras. I know that last will work on D3, D300, D200, possibly D80? Some dSLR's will not autofocus, but can mount and allow total manual operation of older lenses, back to AI anyway. Some pre-AI lenses can be simply modified by filing, milling or replacement of the aperture ring (usually that's all it takes). Again on some lenses, not all.

On my D3 and D200 I use an AI'd 55/3.5 Micro and a 45/2.8GN (AI'd). Also a 105/2.8 AIS works great.

/..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom