Oly 7-14 Pro Lens w/Nauticam Housing?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

KCrofoot

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Looks like there is a Zoom Gear (36054) and a Focus Gear (36055) for this lens in the Nauticam housing.

Questions:
Are they meant to be used together?

Can someone using the lens tell me if they purchased both gears and if so what are some of the practical aspects associated with use?

If they are not meant to be used together does that mean if you use the focus gear that the zoom is fixed or can that be controlled with the camera?

Thanks in advance for your insight!

You can use both the zoom and focus gear at the same time. For the 7-14 pro lens, the recommended setup is the N85 to N120 adaptor with knob. The adaptor lets you use the larger ports for DSLRs such as the recommended 180mm glass dome. The N85 to N120 adaptor has a knob on it, allowing you to use the focus gear. Then you use the knob on the body to use the zoom gear, or vice-versa. I just got this setup yesterday for my Palau trip coming up.

The lens is too fat to fit in the standard N85 port. You actually have to mount the camera body, then put on the N85-120 adaptor, then add the lens from the front, then the dome port. And then have to undo that all just to swap batteries. But the reports say that the resulting quality is excellent.

Looks like there is a Zoom Gear (36054) and a Focus Gear (36055) for this lens in the Nauticam housing.

Questions:
Are they meant to be used together?

Can someone using the lens tell me if they purchased both gears and if so what are some of the practical aspects associated with use?

If they are not meant to be used together does that mean if you use the focus gear that the zoom is fixed or can that be controlled with the camera?

Thanks in advance for your insight!

Last edited:
What he said.

The focus gear is just necessary if you want manual focus, mostly for video where you might want to "pull" focus.

We have a couple of new gh4 + m7-14mm videos up on our Youtube site and we're working on a review.

We have all of this in stock and the lens is on a $150 instant rebate!

Jack

What he said.

The focus gear is just necessary if you want manual focus, mostly for video where you might want to "pull" focus.

We have a couple of new gh4 + m7-14mm videos up on our Youtube site and we're working on a review.

We have all of this in stock and the lens is on a $150 instant rebate!

Jack

Jack,

Whats the buoyancy like of the 120 dome with 7-14 oly pro like? I'm currently using the pana 8mm fisheye with acrylic 4.33 mini dome. I have it slightly negative with 6 jumbo stix floats. The 120 + adaptor is a lot heavier, but it also weighs a lot more. Will it make my rig a lot more negative? Going to jellyfish lake, and would like to make sure i'm not too heavy while snorkeling.

The domes are N120 which is the DSLR size and are glass, which is heavier. You pick up quite a bit of buoyancy due to the trapped air in the port system, but the lens is pretty large and heavily built. Margo didn't have any problem with it on her GH4, she said with two of the new 10Bar floats (which have more buoyancy than Stix), it was pretty close to neutral.

I just carried one strobe over the hill to jellyfish lake with a 170 dome on my D800 housing with a couple of floats. I wouldn't worry about it too much, I think everyone gets carried away trying to make their rigs neutrally buoyant. Having them a little negative makes them more stable anyway.

Jack

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom