Oly C-8080 and WCON-08D wide angle Lens

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

f3nikon:
I am not a fan of "add-on" converter lens. I think it's just more pieces of glass to degrade the image quality....

f3nikon:
Unless you can convince me that adding more glass on top of the primary lens (even the correct glass) will make my pictures sharper and colors brighter.

Interesting change in stand on add-on lenses....

ReyeR:
Interesting change in stand on add-on lenses....

What change in stand are you talking about?????

Do you mean this one?

"With all that was stated, I still would not use an "add-on" U/W, I would use the wideangle on my SLR or a Nikonos 15mm."

Or this one:

"For the others who may want to go the "add-on" way, any information on the Athena domeports? They seem (pictures) to be a much better design than the Inons."

http://www.ferrario.com/ruether/WA-converters.htm

Thanks for all the comments.

You've confirmed my original concerns regarding the loss of image quality. I was interested to hear Athena are planning to making a dome port for the Olympus PT-23 housing. I will probably wait for more details on the Anthena port before parting with any money. It may be the best compromise between image quality and increased angle of view.

SCUBA-IAN:
Thanks for all the comments.

You've confirmed my original concerns regarding the loss of image quality. I was interested to hear Athena are planning to making a dome port for the Olympus PT-23 housing. I will probably wait for more details on the Anthena port before parting with any money. It may be the best compromise between image quality and increased angle of view.

One advantage we 8080 users have over most of the other P/S is the large lens and the 58 mm filter thread on the lens itself. So unlike the others, the distance between the camera's front primary lens and the add-on lens will stay the same, even when ZOOMING in and out! The 8080 should not have any problems encountered by the other cameras with the add on lens screwed on to the body, then the primary lens zooming in and out blurring the image. The 8080 lens is acting like a DSLR/SLR in this case, one more reason why I believe the 8080 is the best P/S digital camera for U/W use.

That said, I am still not a fan of add ons, mostly from seeing the poor results of U/W "wet" converters like the Inons. Now the fish eye Raynox DCR-FE180 maybe a different story, my guess is that the reason for most of the poor image quality from add ons is due to the fact that the manufacturer needed to keep the add on lens, rectilinear so as not distort the straight lines. Well U/W there isn't too many straight lines so the fish eye should work very well.
Now I am still looking for the website that I lost regarding a 8080 in an PT-23 housing with a Raynox DCR-FE180 and a Athena domeport. With the price tag of close to $400 for a fish eye wideangle dry lens, Raynox is not cheap so I am looking for one to borrow I'll let you know .

http://www.wrotniak.net/photo/e10/raynox-fish.html

Dive Safe

And good luck!

I am not too certain about picture quality but I was using the Inon Wide Angle with my 7070 in this picture and I do not see any major loss of picture quality...

coral_reef_3.jpg

btw, the colors on the original 5mb file is a lot more vibrant. To be the colors are pretty good and there does not seem to be any distortion. I had to zoom in to remove the vignetting but the final products looks pretty good.

Point taken. Its just that the angle will not be wide enuff to be able to take a shot like that. I guess between having to get a Oly Wide angle with an additional port and with an add-on lens which can be removed when other shot opportunity crops up (eg macro), I would prefer the flexibility of the latter. Its nice having the ability to switch between wide angle and macro during a dive. If the photo quality does not suffer too much ( or at all), I am quite happy to use the add-ons.

f3nikon:
One advantage we 8080 users have over most of the other P/S is the large lens and the 58 mm filter thread on the lens itself. So unlike the others, the distance between the camera's front primary lens and the add-on lens will stay the same, even when ZOOMING in and out! The 8080 should not have any problems encountered by the other cameras with the add on lens screwed on to the body, then the primary lens zooming in and out blurring the image. The 8080 lens is acting like a DSLR/SLR in this case, one more reason why I believe the 8080 is the best P/S digital camera for U/W use.
The front element of the C5050 does not move either, but it still produces edge blurring as you zoom in with the WA adapter. I don't see why the C8080 will be an exception.

f3nikon:
That said, I am still not a fan of add ons, mostly from seeing the poor results of U/W "wet" converters like the Inons.
I don't understand why you keep generalising edge distortion as "poor results of U/W "wet" converters like the Inons". As Wolverine's picture demonstrates they produce very good results when used correctly.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom