Oly Direct Connect (Synchro????) TTL or Wireless Remote TTL????

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kengar

Registered
Reaction score
I'm a totally newbie, doing some research here.

I've purchased an Oly 8080 and have not yet decided on housing. I know the Ikelight housing permits a direct connection from the strobe to the housing with a TTL chord (I'm assuming that is what's referred to as a "synchro" setup, yes, no???), and I assume that is required since the housing does not permit the internal flash to pop up for a sensor-based setup to work.

The Oly housing, on the other hand, does permit the internal flash to pop up, so it can use a setup where the strobe "watches" the internal flash, with the "watching" sensor connected to the strobe by a cable. I assume that is what is referred to as slaved TTL, yes?? no??

Two questions: Does the Oly housing permit the direct connection sort of setup, like the IkeLight Setup?

I assume the slaved TTL approach (sensor watching the camera) is preferred, since the packages with it are more expensive than the direct connect (synchro) TTL configuration. If so, in what way is it better? Or am I wrong on that, and is direct connection (synchro) better route to go for a newbie??

Thanks for your help.

Ken.

Direct allows more control,

as for a newbie, a direct "wired" connection will provide everything a slave setup will. but a wired connection may provide more control when an if you require it

Chris

As far as I know the OLY housings do not have the hard wire strobe option.

Also regarding the internal flash, good for macro or use in gin clear water but not effective in bad vis conditions,

There are some threads on this subject in the Tips and Techniques forum.

all the best

Chris

Kengar:
I know the Ikelight housing permits a direct connection from the strobe to the housing with a TTL chord (I'm assuming that is what's referred to as a "synchro" setup, yes, no???), and I assume that is required since the housing does not permit the internal flash to pop up for a sensor-based setup to work.
Ikelite C8080 housing comes with Ike's Olympus TTL conversion circuit and allows you to use Ike's DS-50 and DS-125 in TTL with the C8080. You connect the strobe to the housing with a 'sync cord'.

The Oly housing, on the other hand, does permit the internal flash to pop up, so it can use a setup where the strobe "watches" the internal flash, with the "watching" sensor connected to the strobe by a cable. I assume that is what is referred to as slaved TTL, yes?? no??
Above is true if you are using Ike's strobes (DS-50 and DS-125) and slave sensors. Ike's sensors come in two flavours:
1. TTL Slave Sensor (#4100.5) - it 'watches' the camera's flash and controls the strobe to 'mimick' the camera's TTL flash. In this case the camera is deciding the flash exposure.
2. Ike also has a Manual or EV Sensor/Controller (#4100.6) - this sensor merely watches the camera's flash as a 'trigger' to sychronise the strobe with the camera's shutter. As the name suggests you control the flash exposure by manually dialing in the amount on the controller (not TTL).
Other brand strobes, like Inon and Sea and Sea, use the same principal as (2.) except the dial (and controller) are built into the strobe unit itself. It still watches the camera's flash but in this case the light is 'channeled' through a fibre optic cable to the strobe. These strobes can also be used with the Olympus housing.

Does the Oly housing permit the direct connection sort of setup, like the IkeLight Setup?
Yes, Mike in Germany makes sync cords that connect the Olympus housing bulkhead to a Sea and Sea type strobe connector (like the Sea and Sea YS-90DX and Inon Z220 strobes). See (warning: in German only) http://www.mike-dive.de and specifically: http://www.mike-dive.de/kameras/olympus/8080/montage.htm

I assume the slaved TTL approach (sensor watching the camera) is preferred, since the packages with it are more expensive than the direct connect (synchro) TTL configuration. If so, in what way is it better? Or am I wrong on that, and is direct connection (synchro) better route to go for a newbie??
The general opinion is that strobes connected with a sync cord (manual or TTL) are the better way to go as it is more reliable and you do not need to use the camera's flash (and hence save batteries). For TTL, If you were to choose between Ike's housing with TTL conversion circuit with sync cord VERSUS Olympus housing with Ike's TTL sensor (#4100.5) then the sync cord method would be the recommended way to go. For a manaual setup an Inon D180 or Z220 connected with a fibre optical cable is just as reliable. The most common problems with sync cord systems are defective cords and it's just one more place where water can get in from.

HTH

hi ken. not sure ehich part of the globe you hail from, but......
if you go for the oly hosuing, matthis heinrichs in germany produces a TTL adaptor that either uses the bulkhead connector or uses an IR connection to a range of flashes. i use the pt020 on a 5060 with this ttl adaptor (actually supplied by a guy named michael finger www.mike-dive.de) which let me use the sea&sea ys60 i already owned.
starting from new though, you have the luxury of deciding which setup you want.

Back
Top Bottom