Oly E-M1 housing – Contemplating between Olympus and Nauticam housing (non pro usage)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am not Phil, but FWIW, as far as I can tell, the only reason not to get the 12-50 port for use with the 60mm would be that it has a 77mm thread for diopters. My understanding is that if one uses a 67mm diopter with a step-up ring on that port there may be some limitation on the use of the lens, although this is not a problem if one uses the 77mm flip adapter from Nauticam. So, potentially, the use of the 12-50 port for the 60mm would require a more expensive solution to use a diopter?

Absent some better information on this from Phil or others, I would go with the 12-50 port and if a diopter is needed, get the 77mm flip adapter..

You should also keep in mind that the Oly 60mm macro gives you true ultra-macro performance. In 35mm terms, we used to consider 1:1 magnification as macro and higher as ultra-macro. In 35mm terms, the oly gives you 2:1 magnification (ie filling the frame with something half the size of a 35mm slide).

Thus, the need for diopters is, really, fairly rare. Only the tiniest nudis or micro-shrimp would need more magnification than what the 60 will give you. Thus, using a diopter should be a secondary consideration unless ultra-ultra macro is large part of your shooting. If it was, I would invest in the Nauti flip adapter and there may be other brands out there for a little less.

The 12-50 port works perfectly with the 60mm. If you want the versatility of the 12-50, plus macro port, it is the most cost-effective choice, even if you have to add the flip adapter.

By the way, the flip adapter, for all of its cost, gives you a very worthwhile reward in not having to screw a diopter on and off, and carry it somewhere, drop it, etc. well worth the investment, even for the relatively fewer times you will actually need the diopter.

Hi I just went through (July 2013) the nauticam v Olympus with $'s being critical, and I only dive about 40x a year on trips. I went with the EM5 and the Olympus housing with the standard port.

EM5 - refurbished from Olympus = $US 882 inc shipping to Australia

Olympus housing $AU 768.88 and port $AU 335.01 = $AU 1103.89 [AU $ was at ~93c to US $]

I may buy the zoom gear but will see how I feel about this later.

I'm mainly interested in macro and as I am building a house I have not had a chance to test my new system.

So for about $2000 I got the camera and housing. I already own the base plate, flash arms etc. Would have loved to buy the Nauticam but I have had an Olympus housing for my E-520 for 3 years and found it fine for what I do. If you have the money buy the Nauticam but if not......

Just to confirm, the ports of NA-EM5 would fit the NA-EM1. Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom