Oly XZ-1 + Sea & Sea YS-D1 Strobe: Does TTL Work?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Randallr

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I want to upgrade the strobe I've been using with my XZ-1 from the weak Olympus UFL-1 I've been using. The Sea & Sea YS-D1 has been suggested, but the jargon is making me crazy. Sea & Sea says on its own Web site that the YS-D1 is not compatible with the XZ-1 in DS-TTL II mode, but it IS compatible in SlaveTTL mode. I'm trying to understand the difference in real world terms.

Olympus in its documentation states that my UFL-1 is operating in slave mode - I gather because it's triggered by the camera's pre-flash, so technically the strobe is acting as a slave to the camera's flash master. If that's right, does that mean the YS-D1 would work in the same way with my XZ-1, or am I just fooling myself, and I'd be forced to operate it in manual mode?

My actual goal is two-fold: to continue to use the camera and strobe in TTL mode; and to be able to use two strobes - the new, higher-powered one, and the old, weak UFL-1 - in master-slave mode. I'm pretty much convinced I can't do this with the combination of the YS-D1 and the UFL-1. But I wanted to check. Thanks in advance for your help.

Back
Top Bottom