Olympus Camedia C-5050 Photo GuideBook &CD

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I remember a thread about the "Short Course" books some months ago, but I don't recall the opinions. However, since I didn't buy it I think the conclusion was that it was really very similar to the Olympus manual that we got on the CD with the camera. Anyone have the book?
TedJ

That is the "Short Course" book, it is excellent, Lisa. The price directly is $34.95, so this appears to be a good deal if you can get it for less. Here is a link to the site

I have this book and found it to be very helpful, especially when I first got the camera and could not make much sense out of the manual. I have not used or looked at the CD, since I only bought the book.

Cheers :)

jennifer

Sapphire,
Thats good to hear! Right now I am still on top with a bit more than an hour to go and 4 more available, so I think I might get lucky.

TedJ,
If Sapphire says it's good, I'm sure I will feel the same. But I'll let you know exactly if and when I get it.

Aloha,
Lisa

justleesa:
Sapphire,
Thats good to hear! Right now I am still on top with a bit more than an hour to go and 4 more available, so I think I might get lucky.

TedJ,
If Sapphire says it's good, I'm sure I will feel the same. But I'll let you know exactly if and when I get it.

Aloha,
Lisa

Thanks for the vote of confidence, Lisa. I liked it because I was so inexperienced with digital cameras when I got the 5050. YOU may be above some of the information in the book as you have had lots more experience with digitals :crafty: .

Aloha,
Jennifer

I'm really curious about the book as well. My real question is if it helps you to use the camera to take pictures (very vague) or is it more of an explanation of what the buttons, menus, etc. do (like the manual). I hope this makes some sense.

Said another way does it help you decide how to use the camera in a given circumstance, of say lighting, by suggesting various settings? Or does it simply instruct you to use the landscape setting for outdoor shots.

I tried to get a look at one of the books at my local photo shop but they don't seem to carry the series. They sell the "Magic Lantern" series, which I have bought in the past for my Nikon cameras, but they are mostly just more detailed Operations Manuals, rather than being helpful in "Using" the camera.

Looking forward to your review as anything that helps to understand all this stuff is welcomed.
TedJ

Well I guess I am a step closer to letting you know. I won the bid and it's paid for, so the rest depends on the seller and the post office.
BTW Happy Easter Everybody!

Congratulations, Lisa! You will have to tell me if the CDRom is something I should have ordered too.

TedJ -

the book is much more than the settings. It talks about Exposure, Color, Focus, Lenses, Flash, Closeup, etc. and explains WHY you need to know about these things, what you should know, and how the camera works to affect these issues. It fully explores all the special functions of the camera, and talks about things like the quality of light, perspective, portraits, mood, etc. What I like is how it relates those discussions back to the camera settings, and how you can achieve the results given in the examples.

To make it useful, it would be good to go through each chapter thoroughly, as if you were taking a class. I wish I had the time to play with the camera that much, I find that I hop and skip around the chapters depending on what I am interested in... I still have not read the whole book, but it is getting dog-eared :)!

Cheers and Happy Easter to everyone!

Jennifer

Just to keep you posted: The book arrived yesterday and just from flipping thru it looks pretty interesting. I'm hoping to get a chance today to pop the CD into the computer and let you know more.
Aloha,
Lisa

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom