Olympus E-410 first pass reviews with oly housing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Gary, Thanks!!! WoW, Is really tempting... Whole set-up (w/o strobe) for abt US$1.8k... Pls do post a photo of the set-up, if it s not too much trouble...
Will u be adding other underwater lenses to your set-up? Did u consider getting the Ikelite housing?
Thanks again!

Hi,
Yes I can post some photos of the rig. I'm currently being swamped at work so look for these over the next week or so. Also, I tried finding a woody's diopter that would work as a wet lens unfortunately the largest size is like 100mm. The front port for the 14-42 lens iis 145mm. There are smaller port options for the 50mm macro where wet lenses would be an option. There is also a new Olympus 12-60mm lens that would probably fix any need for a diopter because the focal length is around the same as the 14-42 and it gives you an added 20mm of zoom. This lens is also an f stop better than the 14-42 making it ideal for underwater. At another $800 bucks I'll have to really good this year and do a lot of begging.:eyebrow:

Okay...here are some WA shots straight from the camera this weekend. WA shots this weekend were all nasty do to the viz being messed up but again to show the versatility of the 14-42mm kit lens and the performance of the camera they're fine. The photographer needs work...haha. Due to my haste underwater and my workflow none of these were white balanced in the camera. So I'll post the processed photos later.

Attachments

• _C038509.JPG
    _C038509.JPG
    209.7 KB · Views: 53
  • _C038510.JPG
    _C038510.JPG
    229.7 KB · Views: 35
  • _C038511.JPG
    _C038511.JPG
    225.7 KB · Views: 41
  • _C038512.JPG
    _C038512.JPG
    228.9 KB · Views: 33
The turtles were all camera shy and refused a good candid photo op.

Attachments

• _C038488.JPG
    _C038488.JPG
    233.9 KB · Views: 39
  • _C038491.JPG
    _C038491.JPG
    227.4 KB · Views: 31
  • _C038492.JPG
    _C038492.JPG
    226.2 KB · Views: 33
  • _C038501.JPG
    _C038501.JPG
    225.8 KB · Views: 43
Thanks for the photos n all the info!!! Cheers!

Thanks for the report Gary. Excellent job on the Jack and the last Turtle shot. Glad to hear you're having success with the new rig. BTW, I'd love to have 20-40ft. in Monterey when my shoulder heals (though it's not the typical 150 you get in the tropics)!

Okay...Here are some of the same shots that have been processed in PS. Nothing major just white balanced, standard slider adjustments and the cropped and sharpened.

Attachments

• blue striped grunt best 3Nov2007Hawaii_1.jpg
    blue striped grunt best 3Nov2007Hawaii_1.jpg
    385.3 KB · Views: 45
  • cleaner wrasse bestNov2007Hawaii.jpg
    cleaner wrasse bestNov2007Hawaii.jpg
    253.4 KB · Views: 50
Thanks for the report Gary. Excellent job on the Jack and the last Turtle shot. Glad to hear you're having success with the new rig. BTW, I'd love to have 20-40ft. in Monterey when my shoulder heals (though it's not the typical 150 you get in the tropics)!

In know...I dived Catalina in the spring. Viz was 15-20ft which was suppose to be good :11: It made any WA shot tough. You can see from my link that anything beyond a couple feet is real snowy. I've seen some remarkable things done with programs like noise ninja but haven't tried them. In most cases when the viz sucks I just stick to macro and close fish pics. Hopefully your shoulder is coming along well. Good luck at Christmas...:)

Valuable Tip: to minimize back scatter in poor viz, point the strobes out!

You want to light the subject, not the water between you and the subject. Illuminate the subject with the edge of the light cone.

Here's an excellent graphic: tip_edge_light

scott640.jpg

molawal.jpg

JLyle:

Good point on the edge lighting. Where did that graphic come from?

Back
Top Bottom