Olympus E-M1/PT-EP11 Interesting post

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The Inon macro port and dome ports are the same ports developed for the Olympus, SeaTool and Nexus housings for the Olympus 4/3 DSLR cameras like the E-300,400,500 and 600 cameras and E-3, E-5. They require an adapter to be fitted to the Olympus M43 housings and would work best with the older 43 lenses like the 50mm macro for which the macro port was designed and the Olympus 8mm fisheye.

Phil Rudin

Thanks Phil. The housing at least here is not cheap £1049 vs £1389 or nauticam housing but many people like the olympus housing and is good there are some options I guess

Hi Phil

This magnet ring focusing system sounds like it is handy to use.
Did you try it - is it as practical as it should be, or does it have problems?

If I were going with the Olympus housing I would be looking at the port adapter from ZEN Underwater and the ZEN ports which are designed for the Olympus and Panasonic M43 lenses. This adapter is ready to go for the E-M5 housing with the same port mount and uses existing PEN housing ports covering lenses like 9-18, 7-14 and 45 macro.

Zen Underwater PA-EP08-EP Port Adaptor for Pen Domes [zen.pa.ep08.ep] - $100.00 : Reef Photo & Video!, The Underwater Photo Pros

EskilJ- I have tested the magnetic focusing system with the Inon 50/60D housing and the Olympus 50mm macro port system. It works but is not quite as easy to fine tune as most focus gears. Keep in mind that the port is designed for the Olympus 50mm 4/3 macro lens, not the Olympus M43 60mm macro lens. Athena, http://athena-opt.com also makes a full line of ports for the Olympus systems if you can find a retailer not seen much in the US. Their line is actually larger than the Inon line.

All things being equal the Nauticam housing is by far the better choice and in the end with a few lenses and ports the cost differences will be slim.

Phil Rudin

I'd also go with the nauticam/aquatic housing its much nicer in the end a better deal. I have the oly housing with my e-pl1 and went with the nauticam for the e-pl5. Was worth ever penny. also much easier to travel with.

If I were going with the Olympus housing I would be looking at the port adapter from ZEN Underwater and the ZEN ports which are designed for the Olympus and Panasonic M43 lenses. This adapter is ready to go for the E-M5 housing with the same port mount and uses existing PEN housing ports covering lenses like 9-18, 7-14 and 45 macro.

Zen Underwater PA-EP08-EP Port Adaptor for Pen Domes [zen.pa.ep08.ep] - $100.00 : Reef Photo & Video!, The Underwater Photo Pros

EskilJ- I have tested the magnetic focusing system with the Inon 50/60D housing and the Olympus 50mm macro port system. It works but is not quite as easy to fine tune as most focus gears. Keep in mind that the port is designed for the Olympus 50mm 4/3 macro lens, not the Olympus M43 60mm macro lens. Athena, ƒAƒeƒiH‰›ƒIƒtƒBƒVƒƒƒ‹WEB also makes a full line of ports for the Olympus systems if you can find a retailer not seen much in the US. Their line is actually larger than the Inon line.

All things being equal the Nauticam housing is by far the better choice and in the end with a few lenses and ports the cost differences will be slim.

Phil Rudin

i am struggling choosing the right port for my pana 7-14 lens, zen or athena?
and indont find any online retail have selling athena as well

I don't know where you are in the world but the ZEN dome will be much easer to find and at a lower cost most likely.

Back
Top Bottom