Olympus E-PM1 still a viable option?

Olympus E-PM1 still a viable option today?

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

akivisuals

Contributor
Reaction score
Although I'm relatively new to diving (OW in Fall '14), I've been a professional photographer for over 20 years and want to start shooting underwater. I've been using a GoPro Hero 3+ Black for a little while and am a bit disappointed in the quality that I'm currently getting. For my work, I'm currently using a Canon C100 for video, Canon 5D3, Sony A7s, Panasonic GH3, and have a Sony A7r MKII on order. I realize that these are all quite different from the little E-PM1 but I want to start with a small camera that isn't going to cost me a ton of money. I have an opportunity to pick up the E-PM1, housing, port, camera tray, single flash arm for $385. which I can definitely afford. The gorgeous Nauticam housings for the Sony A7 mirrorless cameras are nice but WAY out of my budget right now. Is the E-PM1 way outdated by today's standards? Will I be able to use my Panasonic 12-35/2.8 in the Olympus housing? Will I get TTL with my Sea and Sea YS-110a?

It depends on what you want to do.
If you are interested in macro, get the epm1, then pick up an olympus 60mm macro lens (it fits in the standard port which came with epm1 housing) and go shoot.

I believe you'll get better macro photos with the 60mm & epm1 vs any of the 16mp sensor olympus cameras and the kit lens. Possible exception being the 12-50, but to use the 12-50 in macro mode, you have to go nauticam route and get a really expensive port. I'm mainly talking about the 14-42 which is the prevalent kit lens on PEN cameras with olympus housings.
If you tend more to WA, then get the 9-18 which will also work in stock port and give better pictures than the kit lens.
Basically it's more about the glass than the sensor.

Now, if you want to step to next generation, there's a great deal now on the epl5 & housing. very similar to the deal a couple of years ago on the epm1.
In 2 years someone will have the same question with regards to the epl5.

I had an epl2 and just stepped to an epl7. Epl2 still took great photos, I just had upgrade bug. If I was buying right now, I'd get epl5 deal (it wasn't available when I purchased)
The epl7 is much quicker than the epl2, but epl2 still produced great images.
I also have epm1 which I use for hiking with 17mm pancake. It produces great images as well. It and epl2 are basically identical in image quality.

The camera has a sensor quality that is far inferior to anything that you would define current. You have many cameras and all far superior to what the EPM1 can produce just get a housing for GH3 you can get good second hand and then you can start working your way up on the nauticam system

Not worth it for me

I realize that the IQ I'll be getting out of the little E-PM1 isn't going to come close to any of my main working cameras. I considered housings for my GH3/4 or the A7s but honestly, I don't have the kind of money it takes to go that route. Even a used housing for the GH3 will run me well over $1K. Since shooting underwater is relatively new to me I felt that this deal with the E-PM1 would be a good stepping stone to eventually purchasing a Nauticam housing for the A7r MKII that I have on order. After all, I only paid $375. plus shipping for the housing AND camera as well as a camera tray and flash arm. It's cheap. I wanted to make sure that it would be decent IQ and not something like what I'd find on a little point and shoot toy camera. The camera should arrive in a week or two and I'll get to see what it can do then. For the money, I think it's a worthwhile step up from the GoPro3+. Heck, it's even cheaper than what a new GoPro4 would cost me!

As far as lens selection goes, I'll probably stick with the kit lens for now. I've been looking at the Zen 4" dome that's on sale at Bluewater to pair with a 9-18 or the Panasonic 7-14. I can use a super wide zoom for my business so that seems to be a good option. Is there a way to use a wet lens with a dome? I'd love to have focal length options while shooting underwater.

Seems like you have made up your mind already. You asked if the camera is way outdated and the answer is yes it's obsolete and that's why you are getting that cheap deal. I wonder what strobe are you getting for that amount and is there any kind of picture you can actually take?

Seems like you have made up your mind already. You asked if the camera is way outdated and the answer is yes it's obsolete and that's why you are getting that cheap deal. I wonder what strobe are you getting for that amount and is there any kind of picture you can actually take?

I made a decision after posting this thread 5 days ago. Wow. You make it sound like I bought a Kodak Brownie. Tell you what, if you can find me a good camera and housing with lens port, heck, even just a housing and port for my existing cameras in that price range I'll buy it. If I had the money for a used Nauticam housing for the GH3 I would've bought it. The cheapest ones I've seen were a thousand USD more than what I paid for the Olympus. This is a stepping stone. I'm not expecting it to give me 5D3 or A7s quality. It's a learning tool and step up from the GoPro while I learn the technique required to take good imagery underwater.

BTW, I bought a near new YS-110a to use with this camera for $250. if you wanted to know.

Here's what an epl2 can do. It's essentially the same internals with different controls.

P7093176.jpgIMG_0254.jpgIMG_0285.jpg

First one is 9-18, others are 60mm macro.
Those are with single D2000 strobe.

I think you've got yourself quite a system for a very good price.

Attachments

• IMG_0216.jpg
    IMG_0216.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 77
  • P7113495.jpg
    P7113495.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 73
I made a decision after posting this thread 5 days ago. Wow. You make it sound like I bought a Kodak Brownie. Tell you what, if you can find me a good camera and housing with lens port, heck, even just a housing and port for my existing cameras in that price range I'll buy it. If I had the money for a used Nauticam housing for the GH3 I would've bought it. The cheapest ones I've seen were a thousand USD more than what I paid for the Olympus. This is a stepping stone. I'm not expecting it to give me 5D3 or A7s quality. It's a learning tool and step up from the GoPro while I learn the technique required to take good imagery underwater.

BTW, I bought a near new YS-110a to use with this camera for $250. if you wanted to know.

You asked if the camera still looks on par with current models and it doesn't
Of course it produces decent images but nice you start buying extra lenses and port you will soon decide to upgrade the body
The strobe is actually going to last you longer

No, it's not on par with any of his work cameras, but the E-PM1 can still create very good images. Honestly though, it's the lenses that will make the biggest difference in your photographs. I'd take an E-PM1 with 9-18mm and 60mm any day over the GH3 with kit lens.

The E-PM1 setup will give you a good upgrade path as you decide to spend more on an UW setup--first add the 9-18mm or 60mm macro, then the Zen dome for the 9-18mm, then go to dual strobes, and by then you'll probably want to upgrade the body to a GH6 or whatever is the latest and greatest. That way, the lenses can go with you when you upgrade bodies.

Back
Top Bottom