Olympus "flat rate" repair program

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Gilligan

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
Some time ago there was word that Olympus repaired flooded cameras for a flat rate. That information is currently in the "Tips & Techniques" category.

This is what I was able to determine from calling Olympus on Feb 3, 2004:

1. They do have a flat rate that varies on the camera model. That rate does apply to flooded cameras.

2. If they can repair the camera there is a six month warranty that excludes flooding.

3. The camera owner pays the shipping to Olympus and Olympus pays the shipping back that is included in the flat rate and is UPS Ground.

4. If the camera is deemed "beyond economic repair" by Olympus they offer a discounted trade-up policy or they will return the damaged camera to you. The trade-up policy is only on certain models and their availibility.

5. An exchange for the same model is based on available inventory at the repair facility, not Olympus in general.

6. Example: the flat rate repair for the C5050 is $187.

7. Example: a flooded 5050 beyond repair is currently repaceable with a refurb 5050 for $419. with a 90 day warranty that excludes flooding.

8: Example: the flat rate repair for a C4000 is $145.

9. Example: a flooded C4000 beyond repair is not replaceable with a refurb as they do not have that model. They offer an upgrade to a C5000 for $320. with an included 1 year warranty plus a free 2 year extended warranty. While this may be a good deal for some, it is not for those with a PT-010 housing as the camera does not fit.

Some things to consider:

1.You are only out the postage one way if the camera is deemed "beyond economic repair" whether you want it back or not.

2. Is the Olympus replacement cost more or less than finding a refurb online, as with their C5050 for $419.00?

The phone number is 1-800-622-6372 X2701. As soon as the recorded greeting starts enter the extension. You may have to try a few times to get it to go through.

The location of the repair facility depends on where you are sending the camera from.

For Hawaii and California this is the facility:
Olympus America
Consumer Product Group
ATTN: Repair Department
10805 Holder Street
Suite 170
Cypress, CA 90630

Gilligan:
Some time ago there was word that Olympus repaired flooded cameras for a flat rate. That information is currently in the "Tips & Techniques" category.

Thanks G! :thumb:

When I posted the flat rate info I was just asking for my specifc needs....interesting to see that there is more to it.

Lisa

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom