Olympus O-ring grease vs generic pure silicone grease

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Gilligan

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I spoke with Jason Bradley, a professional photographer at Backscatter.com regarding Olympus PT-010 main O-ring grease.

He stated the main O-ring is made of silicone rubber and therefore pure silicone grease cannot be used on it. The O-ring will absorb the grease and it will break it down resulting in the O-ring stretching.

Jason went on to explain the Olympus grease is not pure silicone grease. The Olympus tube states "SILICONE GREASE, ONLY FOR SILICONE RUBBER O RINGS". This does not mean the grease is silicone grease but instead means it is grease for silicone O-rings. He said the O-ring grease for the blue Sea & Sea O-rings is okay to use on Olympus O-rings because the Sea & Sea O-ring is also silicone rubber and their grease is compatible.

I have 64 dives on my current PT-010 with the original O-ring. It shows no signs of stretching. I use only the Olympus grease on the main O-ring.

I got about 50 dives on my older PT-010 before the O-ring stretched out to the point it would not stay in the groove and had to be changed. I used generic pure silicone grease on those O-rings

Does this all make sense!

Any O-ring experts want to reply?

Gilligan:
Does this all make sense!
Yup, perfect sense. Perhaps one for the Tips & Techniques section or something.
I've done 100+ dives over 18 months since I got my PT-015 and the o-rings are still fine. I always use the Olympus grease for them.

Did he say what the magic grease really was? Is it part silicon or petroleum based? Petroleum based greases will also have a similar negative effect on the o-rings, but at a slower rate. If used, use very sparingly. A lot depends on how often the o-rings are removed & greased. The more frequently this is done, the shorter the life of the o-ring. More grease, more absorption & more elongation (stretching). I prefer to use just water as a lubricant. I've gotten a couple hundred dives on my video housing, which also uses a silicon main o-ring, with virtually no stretching of the o-ring. (& no leaks)
If we would just go back to old fashioned buna-N o-rings (the black ones) we wouldn't have to worry about the pretty colors & what type of grease to use (or not use). Cheap generic silicon grease on everything. I recently replaced the blue o-rings on my S&S strobes with buna-N (approved by the S&S repair facility). Since I now have a Tetra housing for my 5050, which uses buna-N, life is much easier again.

jcclink:
Did he say what the magic grease really was? Is it part silicon or petroleum based? Petroleum based greases will also have a similar negative effect on the o-rings, but at a slower rate. If used, use very sparingly. A lot depends on how often the o-rings are removed & greased. The more frequently this is done, the shorter the life of the o-ring. More grease, more absorption & more elongation (stretching). I prefer to use just water as a lubricant. I've gotten a couple hundred dives on my video housing, which also uses a silicon main o-ring, with virtually no stretching of the o-ring. (& no leaks)
Hello jcclink, are you saying that you don`t use any grease at all, that you have good
results using just " fresh" water?

TRIG

Thats right - silicon o-rings only thou. My last 2 video housings have used silicon rings. Never ever greased them. Just keep em clean. I run a wet finger over the seal just before I close the housings. No problems. Gates manual says do not grease. I only remove them if necessary to clean properly, & after a major dive trip. I'm probably doing 150-200 dives/yr.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom