Olympus OMD-EM5 v. Sony A5000

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Turtlemes

New
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Folks--I'm upgrading from my very old Canon G9 setup. I''m pretty sure I want to go to a mirrorless camera rather than go to another compact (obvious choice of the Sony RX100 or 100ii). I'm trying to choose (I think) between the Sony A5000 and Olympus OMD-EM5. I'm more of a wide angle guy than macro. What do you think?

If you stick to wide angle, then either of those cameras can work well. For macro the Oly has a huge advantage in lenses.

The Oly has more overall lenses available, which seems to be the drawback with the A5000/A6000. But there are several w/a choices for the Sony; 16mm, 10-18, 12mm, etc. I think that overall the Oly is probably easier to use and would allow more future system expansion with more choices. You're working with a 5-6th generation technolgy that has matured.

On the other hand Sony has some very nice sensor technology, and the larger sensor in the A5000 will give better low light results and dynamic range, no question.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom