Olympus strobes and the PEN system

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

terson

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
Hi Guys,
I'm wondering if anyone has used the Olympus UFL-2 strobe with the Pen system cameras underwater?
The reason that I'm sooo interested in this combination is that Olympus' RC mode allows the use of 'high-speed' sync between the Pen cameras and the UFL-2 strobe.
I'm hoping that someone has this combination and can confirm that the system actually works underwater and not just on land?
That's right people flash sync up to 1/400, 1/500, your choice!!!
Bruce

Yes it works very well. Indeed you can shoot all the way up to max shutter speed and black out the backgrounds easily.
And it calibrates light very nicely, better than SEA&SEA in TTL.
With a bit of manual work you can also zoom the light and get a selective lighting on the subject.
Too bad the UFL2 is a bit less powerful than other flashes on the market and bouyancy is a bit on the light side.
I use a bit of extra lead weight attached via velcro.
It would be nice if they came out with a 4 battery version and either a more powerful or more compact version
(no support for wired ETTL would save them space).
If the new cameras support higher sync this flash will start losing its FP advantage rapidly...

Last edited:
Hi Nudibranco,
Thanks for the reply, could you help us all out with some 'starting' settings for the camera and strobe? What internal settings for the camera and strobe units and then what field settings for your macro work??
Thanks again for your input. . .
Bruce

Hi Nudibranco,
Thanks for the reply, could you help us all out with some 'starting' settings for the camera and strobe? What internal settings for the camera and strobe units and then what field settings for your macro work??
Thanks again for your input. . .
Bruce
I generally use M mode on the EPL1 set at F11 and maxed out at 1/160 (no FP mode). Spot metering and focusing (and I prefer to minimize the focus are to its minimum spot x11), Auto or Flash WB, RAW, ISO200. For Macro you may have to use all the way up to F16 if the DOF is just to sensitive. I have used both the Leica 45mm and the 14-42mm kit lens with a wet 2x lens on the ports. The UFL2 is set to AUTO TTL mode and the Flash on the camera will work in 1/16 mode even to save camera battery. The flash will not trigger correctly the UFL2 if it is set to FILL-IN mode.

Because I never use the movie function (on the EPL1) I have set that as custom button to use the UFL2 in FP mode for high sync at about 1/500 shutter speed (you can use other Fn buttons if easy to reach with your thumb while you trigger. This is the mode where you can really take advantage of the UFL2! In case I use that mode I need to set the UFL2 to RC mode (and FP/TTL on the UFL" display) first. This is just one extra step and then push the custom function on the Pen camera while you trigger. Or if you never use other non UFL2 strobos (like I often do) then I would leave the RC Flash mode ALL that time on both the EPL camera and Strobe!! That is true fro MACRO shots only. FP mode really limits the power so it is not recommended for non MACRO work. The FP mode works well all the way up to 1/2000th!

I never use the UW modes or other modes.

For WA I set lower F values (usually F8 or F5,6 and even F4 sometimes) and 1/60th with the 9-18mm mZuiko lens in a ZEN port. Longer arms and Strobo in Manual mode to adjust all the power I can get out of it (it seems never enough).

I truly recommend the ZEN port: I just leave that on all that time with any of the 3 lenses I just mentioned. I can even add the 67mm adapter to it and use a wet lens with either the 45mm or kit lens getting good results!. Clearly to get the best macro shots I suggest the 45mm dedicated lens and Macro port.

Last edited:
Hi Nudi,
Thanks for your help with the information, it will come in very handy.
I like the idea of using the 'record' button as a special function button because I don't do video either, so that will come in handy.
You mention that FP mode severely restrists the flashes power output, can you explain this a little bit more please?
Has anyone ever published, on the internet, a full review of the UFL-2 strobe? I would be very keen to read it. . .
Bruce

2 nudibranco - how do you use wet macro lens with zen port? Is there a some kind of adapter? Thank you

interesting

i think that the only downside of that strobe is the Beam Angle of 78 degrees compare to a sea and sea ys-02 or 01 that is 100

i think that the only downside of that strobe is the Beam Angle of 78 degrees compare to a sea and sea ys-02 or 01 that is 100

According to all the posts about the two Sea and Sea strobes that I read in the 'Strobes' threads on this forum, the Olympus strobe only has to work and it will be a better unit than the two S&S units. . . .IMHO!
Bruce

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom