Olympus UFL-1 Underwater Strobe

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Since the Sea & Sea cords fit the Oly UFL-1 strobe and they are almost twinkies I think Sea & Sea makes it. I might be wrong but let a Oly rep say no.

I just got the UFL-1 for my PT-043 Underwater Housing for the Stylus 1030 SW.
I installed the batteries, mounted the strobe on my housing and turned it on. I don't see the red or green light lite. when turning the two knobs on.
I can't get it to flash, could it be DOA or am i missing something.

This strobe is the exact same thing as the YS-17 from Sea&Sea. It's optically triggered, and needs to have the photo sensor placed under the chin pointed at the internal strobe, or have an optical cable to trigger. Recent housings from Oly has optical cable connectors built in that fits cables from Sea&Sea. I have a PT-037 and UFL-1 and since Oly hadn't started selling their own optic cable when I bought the strobe, I bought one from Sea&Sea and haven't had any issues.

Hope this helps

Kaza.

but shouldn't the red or green lights on the ttl / manual and/or 1/2 / full be lite?

Yup. Mine lights up red on left, green on right, just like nav lights.
Double check your batteries are aligned properly. I've made this mistake myself.

Kaza

I double and triple checked mine, I've switched batteries, used regular Duracell and Nimh rechargeable fully charged first. no lights. I'm guessing then that it's broken right out the box?

I'm guessing then that it's broken right out the box?

Sound like it is. I would have the shop check it out, and if it doesn't light up, ask if I can have it changed for a new WORKING strobe, or a full refund.

Follow up on my earlier post. I would say that this strobe is POS. I does not fire all the time even with the optical cable. My main issue is that I know there is a short in the battery compartment. When in use the batteries get hot, I mean can't hold them in your hand, battery casing peeling hot. I returned the strobe to Olympus for repairs got it returned, same problem. I am going to replace it with a Inon.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom