Olympus XZ1 Sucks...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Great looking photos - thanks for sharing.

Question: is the video quality really that poor? I've read a bunch of the XZ-1 reviews, and the video doesn't get great reviews, but looking at the samples it doesn't look horrible either.

Is it just in comparison with say the LX5 and S95 that the XZ-1 doesn't measure up?

Thanks,

Henrik

i bought this cam seeing the video by Samuel Rolfe 'xz1 goes underwater' on youtube, i think with good strong video lights, it can perform, but it couldn't register anything clear/recognizable by 5 mtrs/15 ft on ambient light, reason we like video is to shoot surprising moments (unexpected big stuff from the blue, spiraling schools), with this in mind, ..... :(, wide angle lens may help cutting the distance...

just was spoiled by using really good video capabilities by the Panasonic zs3, where detail & color maintained even at far distances (i regret disposing of it). but yes, ain't that bad, just sad since i enjoy making amateurish videos as well and vid quality is at par with a g9/g10, a step back in quality for something launched in 2011...am not complaining though, maybe the xz2 will be perfect,

o yes, my friend's s95 took really great vids too of cudda schools with ambient light (with white balance)

anyway, heres a sample vid by my xz1, you'll see what I mean

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c_gpe85aRkI

Last edited:
Great looking photos - thanks for sharing.

Question: is the video quality really that poor? I've read a bunch of the XZ-1 reviews, and the video doesn't get great reviews, but looking at the samples it doesn't look horrible either.

Is it just in comparison with say the LX5 and S95 that the XZ-1 doesn't measure up?

Thanks,

Henrik

it is very poor.
But great job to those who manage to make the video looks good.
its been months since i owned an xz1 and i havent even press the video buton once!

About the lx5, the video is ok. surely better than the xz1.
But a p&s will always be p&s.

it is very poor.
its been months since i owned an xz1 and i havent even press the video buton once!

About the lx5, the video is ok. surely better than the xz1.
But a p&s will always be p&s.

The video on the Panasonic zs3, zs7 and LX5 is superb. I don't know why the DSLRs have a tough time with video, but Panasonic is really a Videocam company who makes cameras, so they really get it right. Maybe something like a Nikon D7000 would do better but for what you pay for a Panasonic LX5 or zs, you get unexpectedly great video. The really good 3ccd video cameras doe an even better job, that's what we expect, but won't get from a $300 point and shoot. The topline video cameras with housings and lights can top $5k.

Very nice pics! I am jealous!, as I have not dove with my XZ-1 yet. I have shot a number of surface photos with XZ-1. Very easy to use, similar operation to my SP-350/PT-030. I think the XZ-1 is actually easier to use in the housing, than just using the camera body on surface.

Bruce

XZ-1/PT-050 random surface pic, taken before I got my haze filter, polarizer...
P4230149-adj-small.jpg

Bruce, you'll love it I guarantee :) dive with soon, it wont dissapoint

The video on the Panasonic zs3, zs7 and LX5 is superb. I don't know why the DSLRs have a tough time with video, but Panasonic is really a Videocam company who makes cameras, so they really get it right. Maybe something like a Nikon D7000 would do better but for what you pay for a Panasonic LX5 or zs, you get unexpectedly great video. The really good 3ccd video cameras doe an even better job, that's what we expect, but won't get from a $300 point and shoot. The topline video cameras with housings and lights can top $5k.

for usd5k, i'll spend usd600 on a zs7+housing and usd4.4k to Raja Ampat or Galapagos (+a bit more I guess for the latter), or two trips to Palau & Bali/ or Ahe :D

on slr's saw Steeve De Neef's 5d mk2 vids and they were awesome, http://vimeo.com/stevedeneef i think key to video is white balance

Bruce, you'll love it I guarantee :) dive with soon, it wont dissapoint

What I've seen on the surface so far, looks like the XZ-1/PT-050 will be a fine UW camera. Operation very much like my SP-350/PT-030 with a better lens. For me, we are not diving all the time. The water is friggin cold here in Seattle, so we only dive tropical on vacations. Next trip to Little Cayman or Fiji likely in summer. I will bring my SP-350/PT-030 as backup UW camera though. It has about 220 dives on it so far and has served me well.

Bruce

but yes, ain't that bad, just sad since i enjoy making amateurish videos as well and vid quality is at par with a g9/g10, a step back in quality for something launched in 2011...am not complaining though, maybe the xz2 will be perfect,

o yes, my friend's s95 took really great vids too of cudda schools with ambient light (with white balance)

Thanks for the video clip. I see what you mean. There are segments that look great - the turtle for instance - and then there are segments with less light possibly, where the camera is clearly struggling.

I'm really just an UW tourist photographer, and I too enjoy some video clips. Mostly to share with friends and family who don't dive. So stills are most important to me, but I would like video to be "ok" to "Good" as well.

That said, I'm currently using a Canon SD880 in a Canon housing, and my guess is the XZ-1 would be a huge step up on all counts :)

it is very poor.

Thanks. It looks like some people are trying to work out which settings may help to improve the video quality. But short of great lighting, it may never get as good as one would have hoped seeing the specs and still quality of this camera.

Henrik

...vid quality is at par with a g9/g10, a step back in quality for something launched in 2011......
The G10 (and G11) was actually a step down from the G9 in Video performance. I'm not sure why they did that but the G9 had a 1024 x 768 mode and it wasn't until the G12 that it was matched/surpassed. The G10 & G11 had a max video mode of 640x480.

The G10 (and G11) was actually a step down from the G9 in Video performance. I'm not sure why they did that but the G9 had a 1024 x 768 mode and it wasn't until the G12 that it was matched/surpassed. The G10 & G11 had a max video mode of 640x480.

true, had a g9 and loved it, I also miss its time lapse video feature which was cool capturing sunrise and sunsets :D I just gave it up coz I wanted HD video as well (enter my panny tz7/zs3, good vids but awful photos), now am back to square one with the xz1 :shocked2:

true, had a g9 and loved it, I also miss its time lapse video feature which was cool capturing sunrise and sunsets :D I just gave it up coz I wanted HD video as well (enter my panny tz7/zs3, good vids but awful photos), now am back to square one with the xz1 :shocked2:
I think I have what I need for now in both photo & video in the Oly E-PL1. Not sure how the sensor size makes a diff in video from the xz-1, but I think the E-PL1 can create a pretty decent video. As you know, with all U/W video, it's a lot harder than just pressing the button. Lighting and Color Balance (I like to use a filter) while shooting makes soooo much difference. Forget about trying to make it look good after it's shot. That works OK for photos using RAW, but not so good for video.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom