Olympus

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

justleesa

Neither here nor there
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
Thought I would mention that Olympus offers a seminar on Digital Photography. Here it lasts a half a day and cost about US $50.-, on the Mainland the class is a bit longer and costs $100.-. It was about settings, the software and so on and I did learn some things. The cool part was that the tuition fee turned into a gift certificate for Olympus items, to be bought at the store that you signed up at. Ask your local shop or check their website. maybe they will do it again.
Aloha,
Lisa

Cool...I'll check into it.

justleesa:
Thought I would mention that Olympus offers a seminar on Digital Photography. Here it lasts a half a day and cost about US $50.-, on the Mainland the class is a bit longer and costs $100.-. It was about settings, the software and so on and I did learn some things. The cool part was that the tuition fee turned into a gift certificate for Olympus items, to be bought at the store that you signed up at. Ask your local shop or check their website. maybe they will do it again.
Aloha,
Lisa

Information about the Olympus "school" sessions can be found at
http://www.olympusamerica.com/cpg_section/photoschool/ps_schedule.asp

Seth

justleesa:
Thought I would mention that Olympus offers a seminar on Digital Photography. Here it lasts a half a day and cost about US $50.-, on the Mainland the class is a bit longer and costs $100.-.

Wow. I'm going to pass this along to Pearce. Maybe they'll plug Atlanta into one of those "TBD" slots?

Thanks for this timely post, Lisa! There is a class in Los Angeles this Saturday! Here's to learning something new before my next dive trip :biggrin:!!

cheers,

Lisa, I noticed you use a Stylus 400/PT-016 camera. My wife and I just bought that set-up and will give it a first run next week. Any tips or warnings for us. We're both pretty inexperienced photographers.
Dan

IndyDan:
Lisa, I noticed you use a Stylus 400/PT-016 camera. My wife and I just bought that set-up and will give it a first run next week. Any tips or warnings for us. We're both pretty inexperienced photographers.
Dan

1) Really get to know all your buttons before you get in the water. Will save you lots of time searching if you want to change to macro, self portrait or movie.

2) Skip digital zoom, the result is only lesser resolution. Someone once said if it is more than 3 feet away, skip it ....

3) Before you take the camera in the water, make sure that you just took the battery off the charger. When I used it UW for the first time I had charged the battery a couple a days before, took maybe two or more pictures and then took the camera down on a night dive and after 2 pictures the battery died and I missed a lot of cool stuff.

4) Mark your casing with name and return data (tape a business card, or something like that, to the inside where it will not be in the way). I have noticed that a lot of people have this set up and it would be a shame to get the cameras mixed up. The extra bonus is that if you loose the camera, who knows in twenty years or so it might find it's way back to you. :icosm14:

5) Before I used it the first time I took the casing down to 90' w/o the camera. As recommend in the manual. A lot of people come on the boat and DON'T do this and nothing has happened. I would just hate to be the first one that it happend to. If you have a day or two before you dive, give it to the dive master to test for you, that way you don't miss out on anything. I'd say that I'd did and do everything that's recommend in the manual, i.e. Don't jump in with the camera, have them pass it to you after you get in the water.

6) I pretty much have the internal flash on for all pictures and 95% of the time it serves me well. If I see lots of backscatter I either cover the flash with my fingers or just turn it off and take the picture again (if the critter is still there). Sometimes I can get rid of a lot of backscatter on the computer. So don't delete, you might be able to save it.

7) Keep the lag time in mind. When you press the button it doesn't mean that that is exactly what you will get at the moment you pressed the button. Sometimes I have to press once, twice or more times before I get a picture at all.

8) Read the thread about O-ring grease (http://www.scubaboard.com/t45432.html) and my flooded camera (http://www.scubaboard.com/t44660.html) Got a lot of good information from the folks here

That pretty much covers it...any more ideas anyone??
Good luck
Lisa

Lisa,do you believe it would have been worth $100 (mainland) had they not thrown in the gift certificate?

Tommy

mardigrastexan:
Lisa,do you believe it would have been worth $100 (mainland) had they not thrown in the gift certificate?

Tommy
All depends how much you know. There were lots of people there that had no idea of what they were doing and lots of time was taken to answer their questions too. They mostly talked about the stylus cameras and c5050....depending what the students had. In the end the options, icons etc are the same on all Olympus cameras, some just have more than others.

There were some things that I learned....would I have gone to the class even if I didn't get the GC? I most likely would have, even if it cost $100, just for the possibility of learning something new. When the class is over you can go to the teachers and ask your specific questions that weren't addressed and/or you were too shy to ask. No, they didn't cover anything about UW photography, and I'm not sure that they could have answered that, but now - with those sales making major money for them I am sure they will be more knowledgeable.
Lisa

Back
Top Bottom