Oman - help!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bubble-og:
Baragon
Yeah or rather at least some...
Your profile didn't state your nationality so it will just be general (not that I know all the regulations for all nationalities anyway...)
Many nationalities (mostly European, US, Aus and a few others) have no problems obtaining visas upon arrival, for some countries there is a fee (usually a small one but it differs from country to country) - you can check online or with an embassy in your country....

dolphins in abundance...i reckon that was off Muscat then...

Thanks for that, I'm English. I seem to recall visas appliactions were once a palaver so thats good news they can be obtained on arrival.
Yes it was off Muscat, I think we eventually went to a dive site called Democracy.
Are you a Baluchi ? :wink:

Hehe...

Naaah...not a Bulushi...and no, can't speak their language either..
English? That's good, will go through visa and customs fairly quick then - insh'allah...

I dove with bluzone last year and can recommend them highly. They are not far (we were staying in Muscat as well), are affordable, and flexible.

Right now nearby in Qatar it is a bit cold for a 3mm... I would not recommend a long dive but again like others stated, it depends what you are comfortable with. Might pull a shorty over the top and be fine. Folks here are diving regularly (every weekend) with little trouble wearing 3-5mm, hood and socks.

anton:
I dove with bluzone last year and can recommend them highly. They are not far (we were staying in Muscat as well), are affordable, and flexible.

Right now nearby in Qatar it is a bit cold for a 3mm... I would not recommend a long dive but again like others stated, it depends what you are comfortable with. Might pull a shorty over the top and be fine. Folks here are diving regularly (every weekend) with little trouble wearing 3-5mm, hood and socks.

Anton. I've just started working (offshore) Qatar and know zero about diving here. Can you enlighten me a wee bit please?
thanks

Bit late addition, but as I have had many helpful answers from others here - I'll contribute some about Oman as I was there recently.

1. Oman is a very friendly country, and getting visas is normally not a problem. While they can be purchased upon arrival, there is some benefit in getting them from the Embassy before travelling.

2. Oman is hot! During the warm periods (June - Aug) Muscat reaches up to and beyond 50 Celsius which is.... HOT! This is why most people escape the town and go to Salalah in the south, which then has a mosr comfortable monsoon period.

3. Where to stay: there are two very posh hotels, the Chedi and the Al Bustan. The former is truly beautiful, and is recommended to anyone that can afford it! The latter is nice, though very opulent, and has the benefit of being close to the two most known dive centres (Bluezone and Oman Dive centre [i think is the name]). I made the mistake of staying at the SAS Radission.... not very good I'm afraid. Most "evening activities" seems to happen around the international hotels too. Alternatives are the Crown plaza (nice and with priate beah), and the Hyatt.

3. Driving: with the heat, you may not do a lot of walking around. Hiring a car is cheap (around £100 for a week) and petrol costs next to nothig. However, bring a pen!!! Maps are notoriously inaccurate, so if you want to find your way back to where you were yesterday, its a good idea to make little annotations on the map :)

4. Diving: I hooked up with the Bluezone dive centre. Have nothing but good to say about them! Located in a marina with lovely staff, nice relaxing pool for afternoon post-dive loitering, and a very decent little restaurant. The Divemaster at the time was called Mark Green, and he was a gem. Great chilled out guy, and very pedagogic when it came to explaining environment, objectives etc etc (I took my OW cert there, and compared to subsequent courses where I have e.g. been at 33m depth with an Divemaster who realised that he forgot to go through some basic stuff... well, I'd have Mark back any time).

UW environment: much marinelife, good visibility, and some quite noticeable thermo-clines! the latter is something to consider - suit up! I dove with my partner who got so cold once that she had to abandon the dive (yes, she's a skinny lady but she was in 7+mm!).

Happy to answer any questions,
R

PS: prices for dive equipment is quite good (and can always be made a wee bit better if you have picked up some of the local barganing skills!)

scoufr..
Yup - I agree with most of that...but some add-ons...
1. Many nationalities do not have to purchase visas at all, for others it might cost anything from €5-15... depends on how you enter the country and the mood of the customs officer ..*sigh*
2. Well, us foreigners try to leave Oman period. Worst I've experienced was 57C (probably around 140F) and 97% humidity...a bit sticky..
3. Both hotels are posh, but there are others - good value for what you need. Apartment hotels etc...we paid about €160 for 6 people a night which isn't too bad..lets you spend the money diving instead...Nighttime...the InterCon, Ramada - all of them have bars and nightclubs...
4. Driving...again...look around...you can rent a little toyota echo for €100/week..go to the small place (learn a few Arabic phrases and they will think you live here and give you a reduced price...)
5. Have never dived with BlueZone but hear that they are good...

UW..well I have written about it a few times, but, again, the diving off Muscat is basically not comparable to the other BIG dive site, the Dimaniyat Islands..

But YEAH! It's cold here...28C at 18meters...geeshh...

Ian T:
But YEAH! It's cold here...28C at 18meters...geeshh...

Hi Ian

28!!!??? I didn't have any way to measure the temp, but no way it was 28! Or... it maybe was, but after a day in 51, it felt cold??

hmm... I was diving in 30C last week, and that felt a LOT warmer than what we had down there in Oman (cat island to be precise).

Anyways, happy diving - and go with Bluezone for a tour. Very friendly people, and say hi to Mark from Rikard and Belen in London.

Cheers!

Heck yeah, 28 is cold...a nasty thermocline at 50' and the temp drops another 2 degrees and it leaves ya shivering and thinking...'hmm, i'll ascend two meters - i can still see the bottom from there...'

Well..if air temp is 48 and water temp is 28..20 degrees difference...that's a lot...
guess i'm a whuzz...ok...i can live with that...

Old thread i know but maybe it will help me
so about sea temperatures and thermoclines - before 3 days i was diving in my country(Adriatic sea), i did a wreck 45-60m, surface temp was 23, bottom temp(50m) was 10,5
3 thermoclines, i dove with 5 mm suite...i know you will say:"it's too cold to dive with 5mm",it was cold but only few minutes,BT was 12 minutes
At the end of october me and my wife are planning to visit Muscat and we want to do some dives, so 3mm short will be enouhg for us???
How is about 30m depth?? Thermoclines??? I mean what is the temperature of surface and temperature at about 30m??? Is it same?

Kruz,
Got your pm.
End of October, surface temp will be about 29-30C, at depth 18-30m between 25-27C. The problem we (local divers) have is that the body gets used to the temperature, so for most people who come here as tourists, the water temp isn't a problem. I have dived with people who used a t-shirt and trunks while I was wearing two wetsuits (2.5+3mil) and I still thought it was a bit chilly.
There are almost always thermoclines, before I left for vacation, the 'cline had mostly dropped down to about 21m but in some spots it was at 12m. What they will be when you are here? Well, your guess is as good as mine...

cheers
Ian

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom