OMD EM5 mII and Neewer case: 12-50 or mm?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have both of these lenses. I love macro, so most of the time I use the 60mm. For bigger fish (stone fish, grouper, large angel fish), or turtles, rays & shark, the 60mm has too much zoom. Backing away from the subject gives me less options on lighting the background vs foreground, so I find it trickier.

The 12-50 is a good overall lens for fish portraits and coral pictures. Its macro capability is poor in comparison to the 60mm.

h2sk1 - NOt a bad call. One of the long time members of this forum uses only the 12-50 with a diopter and has very good results. The advantage to this call is that you are not in the - "Which lens will I use for this dive" dilemma.........

If I had not bought the 50mm macro lens for my E520 rig then I would most probably been happy with 'One Lens to Rule them ALL!' A great macro lens ruins you for a compromise.

BTW I would love to have a 9-100mm 1:1 or greater macro lens. Nothing else needed for >90% of all my UW and AboveW pics.

The 60 is indeed the better lens but I suspect trying to get one for $50 US is a dream. Right now on eBay, you can find used ones for $350 or so. Never saw one much less than that.
Bill

The 60 is indeed the better lens but I suspect trying to get one for $50 US is a dream. Right now on eBay, you can find used ones for $350 or so. Never saw one much less than that.
Bill

HI BIll I think that JMartel was talking about the 14-42 lens.

Having read some stuff on the TG-5 the OP might be better placed to sell the OMD and get a TG-4 or TG-5?

Bill

I never said it was $50. I said the 14-42mm is $50. And you can typically find 60mm macros now for $300. That's what I paid for mine.

HI BIll I think that JMartel was talking about the 14-42 lens.

Having read some stuff on the TG-5 the OP might be better placed to sell the OMD and get a TG-4 or TG-5?
My wife and I dive with an OMD-EM1 and a TG-4. The IQ of the OMD-EM1 with either the 14-42 or the 60mm is definitely better than the TG-4. Don't get me wrong -- the TG-4 is amazing, and it's macro mode is the best of any compact camera, but the speed of focus, the larger sensor, and ability to adjust depth of field makes the micro 4/3rds body + lens combination a winner. For local diving where my pictures are kinda boring, or for days where I'm not sure I want to spend the entire dive doing photo, the TG-4 is the choice. If I want a really good fish portrait, I'm using the OMD-EM1. I wouldn't sell the new EM5-mark 2 -- that's a great body and sensor.

The 60mm can definitely be tricky when shooting anything bigger than medium-sized fish. But it's such a great lens! So crisp and colorful! If you can use your 14-150, or get a cheap 14-42 as others have suggested, then I'd spring for the 60mm (especially if you can't access the macro mode of the 12-50 in your housing). All of these were taken with the 60mm. It is versatile, but it takes practice, and clear water helps a lot for larger subjects, since you do have to move back pretty far to get them in frame (or just do eye portraits :)

RT-ss1.jpg
24739185130_e17a7029a7_z.jpg
22563273043_d47b13fb0b_z.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom