OMD Em5 with OLympus housing and 60mm lens - Whats not right in settings?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am using manual flash on camera and strobes - no TTL at all. So the sync settings above work for me. I don't use TTL at all (strobes won't do it - YS02's) so maybe you have some setting for TTL hanging around in the configuration. Using my strobes, I used the above settings and did test shots in the mirror when testing the settings on the strobes to sync. I am not familar with the Inon's so I can't say what is there.

From the doc link I sent and bear in mind I don't use TTL:
Flash Mode:
•Manual:
Has the advantage of longer camera battery life, no shutter lag and minimal recycle time. Press OK to see the SCP, select flash with the arrow keys, press OK and use the arrow keys or dial to select "Manual Value", press OK. Back at the SCP, just underneath the flash mode is the manual flash power, select this and choose 1/64 (the minimum).
•TTL:
Press OK to see the SCP, select flash with the arrow keys, press OK and use the arrow keys or dial to select "Fill In", and press OK.

I force the flash on all shots (camera and strobes) and adjust the power on the strobes or even turn them off though I don't like doing this underwater too much. This is not the most efficient way to control strobe lighting as it requires manually changing everything.

I got the strobes to sync when they are set to ttl. How can I get the strobes to be in sync with both the camera and strobes set to manual ? I am using inon D2000 strobes. Thanks,

Bill

I haven't used the INON strobes, however, I do recall reading about a magnet on at least one of the models (perhaps the D2000) that indicate if the camera is doing a pre-flash or not. It sounds like maybe the strobe is set up to expect a pre-flash (as if in TTL mode) and the camera is not sending it (in manual mode). Or vice-versa!

Here is a write up from Reef Photo:

Welcome to the Reef Photo Knowlege Base

Gary

Thanks for the helpful feedback. Is there a way to turn off the pre flash on the E-M5 camera?

Bill

Inon D2000 strobes need the magnet in place to use the strobe in manual mode for the E-M5. put the magnet in and you should be very good to go.

Bill

To All, Magnet in activates ttl. Magnet out gives full manual control. Thanks again for the help.

Bill

Err, i believe the mode dial activates TTL/Manual/or external auto if you have it. The magnet its to cancel pre-flash in manual depending on your camera. You have to go to Inon's website to find out if your camera needs the magnet in or out for manual mode. I have/had an EM1, EM5 and a pair of Z240's and S2000's. Its magnets in for both types of strobes with the OMD's (i assume D2000 is the same). I think most if not all Oly's require the magnet.

To All, Magnet in activates ttl. Magnet out gives full manual control. Thanks again for the help.

Bill

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom