omitted decompression after a VERY long exposure time at 2,57 bars

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OMG. You mean this actually happened to someone? When did it happen? Sounds coarse, but are you currently waiting for someone to die?

OMG. You mean this actually happened to someone? When did it happen? Sounds coarse, but are you currently waiting for someone to die?
Trinidad and Tobago you can have more info in the incident & accident section

@Papyone can you point us in the direction of any documentation on this 1983 case? I'd be interested to read about it. I can't imagine somebody diving for 14 hours on air without proper support. Being at high pressure while dry can still cause problems, but at least the person wouldn't be at a drowning risk.

33 hours deco sounds a little high. The deco planner @scubadada posted above recommended 3 hours deco at 20ft/6m, and then 8 hours at 10ft/3m. Still, skipping 11 hours of deco sounds pretty bad! Looking forward to seeing what a dive doc has to say about this.

Are you saying 257 bars? That is about 110 feet if i do my math right?

@Papyone can you point us in the direction of any documentation on this 1983 case? I'd be interested to read about it. I can't imagine somebody diving for 14 hours on air without proper support. Being at high pressure while dry can still cause problems, but at least the person wouldn't be at a drowning risk.

33 hours deco sounds a little high. The deco planner @scubadada posted above recommended 3 hours deco at 20ft/6m, and then 8 hours at 10ft/3m. Still, skipping 11 hours of deco sounds pretty bad! Looking forward to seeing what a dive doc has to say about this.
That explosive decompression happened on the Byford Dolphin rig in the North Sea.

33 hours is the decompression profile that was used by COMEX for an air saturation at 16 m.

That was run at 80/95, the GFs I use for no stop and light deco diving. Even then, I haven't surfaced with a GF higher than 80 since I bought my Teric in May 2019. Before that, I did an adaptive safety stop when close to NDL and padded my light deco.

Are you saying 257 bars? That is about 110 feet if i do my math right?
2.57 bars (Europeans use commas for decimal points) absolute (not gauge), so 1.57x10 = ~16m depth.

2.57 bars (Europeans use commas for decimal points) absolute (not gauge), so 1.57x10 = ~16m depth.

Bar is a pressure value isn't it (not that familiar with metric) 1 bar is one atmosphere so 2.57 bar is 25.7 meters?

Bar is a pressure value isn't it (not that familiar with metric) 1 bar is one atmosphere so 2.57 bar is 25.7 meters?
He was quoting the absolute pressure.....e.g. water depth plus one atmosphere. So you hsve to take 1 bar off to get just the water part.

Back
Top Bottom