Omni Swivel FH-20 - can you replace the filter? w/ bonus questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

trimmatters

Registered
Reaction score
Hey team

Context - KISS sidekick
Found O2 addition through orifice was "slow", and manual add button was adding significantly less gas than usual on a dive the other day. Not nothing, but noticably less.

Cleaned up a bunch of fittings etc and problem seemed to be the Omni Swivel FH-20 micron filter.

Took it out, gave it a good tap on the bench, blew it out, let it sit etc. Gas flow restored and dived "normal" next day but do not have an IP guage to test properly (on the shopping list)

The Omni Swivel site seems to imply there is a replacable filter in the FH-20 part, but I can't find a join on it to open it up nor anything anywhere online that points to a service kit so I have to assume its a throw-away part.... but before I do that, let's try and extend its service life....

- is there a replacable filter?
- If there is not, can you clean it?
- If not servicable, , what's its expected lifespan?

Bonus bonus CCR question
What MAV block is that?
How do I remove the orifice (also photoed), via allen key in the centre, or something around it - I have been shown, I cannot recall

Bonus "confirming my sanity" question
In the photo you can see it is between the quick disconnect and the MAV block...
- I assume this is to filter out crud potentially introduced at the QC6/first stage connection etc?

Thanks team

Attachments

• MAV and connections.png
    MAV and connections.png
    678.7 KB · Views: 35
  • orifice.jpg
    orifice.jpg
    8 KB · Views: 38
That looks like the older KISS dual MAV. They have changed styles.

You need an orifice removal tool. But I would recommend you just leave it alone unless you absolutely have to remove it. Chances are the threads will get stripped if you remove it.

update.

Purchased a new filter from Narked at 90. Old one now an emergency spare.
Gave the orifice a soak in vinegar, a rinse, and back in it went. Replacement on order.

Gave a bunch of the fittings a bath and a few new o-rings etc.

Found on the next dive the O2 was obviously flowing a little more than usual, so I've backed off the IP from the first stage a little and looking forward to the next dive.

Have a big 2 week cave trip coming up in March and when youre a 20 hour drive from the nearest LDS you want it all working before you go.

As for the orifice removal tool, found the drill extensive for a hex bits worked great - 1/4 inch I believe. Very delicate putting it back in :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom