Omni Swivel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm trying out a combo of Atomic Aquatics swivel hose + 70 Degree Swivel Adapter, LP 2nd Stage: 9/16-Inch M x 9/16-Inch F. The 70 degree thingy routes the hose to the area I want it to be, the Atomic swivel hose gives me some easy wiggle room for fine placement.

Swivel plus a 70/120 degree is just goofy. Why add the extra failure points? Stick with one or the other as the swivel defeats the purpose of a 70/120 degree adapter.

Who has a 24" yellow hose for my octo? Would a 30" be ok. I'll get a neck bungee for it.

You'll want something shorter than that. Standard is 22", and for a single tank where the valve is a couple inches closer you may want even shorter. They're cheap at less than $20ish for that length.

70/110/120 everyone has different naming conventions for what is basically the same thing. a fixed swivel adapter that is not at 90*. With that I would use a 36-40" hose. If you go up to a 60" you are going to be doing a modified hog loop anyway, and the 90* tends to be more comfortable for that. I still use omni swivels or the cave adventurers swivels when I dive backmount with a 7' hose because I have a long torso and if I do, I can't get my hose hooked under the canister and still be able to look left

I have a swivel on my SP 109 primary with a 36" hose, routing it under my arm. Mu secondary is on a necklace with a 30" hose. In an air sharing situation, the person I share with gets my primary and I use the secondary. The extra length on the primary hose makes sharing and ascending together a bit easier.

OP, your "octo" that you will be bungeeing beneath your neck should be on a shorter hose. 30" is a pretty long hose for a bungee'd second. Your primary, which you will be donating, should be on a longer hose, 36", 40", etc.

Who has a 24" yellow hose for my octo? Would a 30" be ok. I'll get a neck bungee for it.
With the setup you are planning, if I understand your post, the yellow hose is the 40 inch that will go under the arm then connect to the second with the swivel or angled adaptor. This is now a primary donate setup, hence the yellow hose if you choose to use yellow. The bungeed second is for you after you donate the primary so no need for a yellow hose.

An example...

image.jpeg

Thanks everyone. I ended up with a 22" hose for the necklace reg. and 40" for primary. Trying the setup out this weekend.

Thanks everyone. I ended up with a 22" hose for the necklace reg. and 40" for primary.
Great decision - you are going for a configuration that supports 'rpimarty donation' and which puts the alternate right where you can easily access it if you need it.

Going back to the original question that started this thread - do you plan to use a swivel or angle adapter on your 40" hose? If so, what / which are you going with? A 40" hose routed over your right shoulder will bow out quite a bit. A 40" hose routed under your right arm works well, but many (myself included) find that an adapter helps prevent the second stage from drooping on the right side of you mouth. I have used both - a 360 swivel and a 70/110 fixed angle adapter, and find that both work. The fixed angle adapter is (much) less expensive, although I prefer the 360 swivel.

And, my response to your original question: I use Omni brand 360 degree swivels, and have not had any problem with them. Some of the bad press you may read about 'omni-swivels' involved non-Omni brand, 360 swivels, particularly units manufactured in eastern Europe, or much older Omini brand swivels produced over a decade (or more) ago, since which time the Omni brand 360 swivel has been re-designed. I have yet to find a documented failure of an Omni brand 360 swivel manufactured since the re-design.

Last edited:
Went with an Omni swivel with the hose under arm. . . . . . I ended up with a 22" hose for the necklace reg. and 40" for primary. Trying the setup out this weekend.
If you have time, please leave a post to let us know how you liked the set-up.

With a bp/w this setup is nice and streamlined. Everything is nicely compact and easy access. The swivel is likely overkill but got a great price on it otherwise I would've done the 70/120 fitting instead. Simple is usually better. First time using this whole deal and after first dive moved all my weights to bottom tank band and trim with it is awesome. I dive steel tanks and only use 6/8# with a dry suit depending on which tanks I use (two different sizes)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom