OMS Phantom HID 10w Rechargable

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Captain12Pk

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
I am considering purchasing an OMS Phantom HID Rechargable light. However ,I've been told by a dive buddy to avoid this light as it will cause interference with my Cochran Gemini. Of course my dive shop claims no knowledge of this problem, and said that OMS knows nothing of it either. So I'm wondering if anyone else has had (or witnessed) this problem.
Thanks in advance for your help.
Kevin

The light uses a Lithium-ion battery. This battery life span is dependent upon aging from the time of manufacturing, Shelf Life, regardless of weather it has been used at all Plus it ages with use. This battery fully charged @ 77o will irreversibly lose approx 20% of it's capacity PER YEAR.
After 3 years my $1,000+ dive light would not hold a for more than 25 min, not close to the advertised time of 4.5 hours. There are a host of issues with OMS's battery, just look up Lithium-ion batteries on a web search.
But it's gets better. I asked the local dive shop to find out the replacement cost and more importantly the Manufacturing date. The shop got the run around on the date.
Though the battery was never ordered OMS sent it anyway. The dive shop owner was not happy with OMS nor me when I said I would not buy the battery. However when I came in and showed the information on the battery he understood why I did not want to spend $240 on an old Battery. THE MANUFACTURING DATE ON THE "NEW BATTERY" FROM OMS WAS OVER 2 YEARS OLD or 40% DEAD. We called and called before someone at OMS responded with: that is the newest battery we have, take it or leave it.
Fact OMS has a screw you attitude with the every day diver. They make their money
with the US Government and other large contracts. This is not the first time I'm had issues with OMS. And I don't know anyone who has needed to work with OMS on an issue to respect them or the out come.
Take a test. Call 6 dive shops that carry OMS, and just ask how is customer service, how are they treated as a dive shop. In the past 3 years I've asked every customer and dive shop owner of OMS this question. Guess what I've been told.

Buy a Salvo

Back
Top Bottom