OMS, SP AIR II and NASA

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well this whole thread is just pure strokery! :wink:
Can you get me a bottle of 80/20 and a bag of zinc plated gait clips for my wing?
Jason

Last night, I noticed that the guys in Deep Sea Detectives were looking for the Alexandria Lighthouse, and guess what, they all used OMS gear:D

They must be flukes, since according to some OMS isn't worth it.

I'll keep mine 'cause after a tad over 125 dives in salt water, it's looking like new, something I can't say about other BCs.

I bet that if NASA used H or other PC gear there would be tons of posts telling how NASA knows what's best.

It's clear that it hurts some people that OMS, the bad boy of BCs, was chosen by NASA:D

I hope you're NAUI then to Mandy, becuase all the Nasa Divers are :wink:

wreckedinri:
I am (a stroke), and I aint gonna change:D !

Regards,
D

D,

Got a kick out of the logo on your listed URL :D

I've been diving OMS gear for years, and have never had any problems or complaints. It's tough, continues to look new for quite a while with normal use and proper care, and it's worth the money in my opinion since I tend to keep primary gear for many years. I deal with an OMS dealer who will go out of his way to find what I want, answer all of my questions, put together any combination of gear I want, and back it will the OMS warranty.

If Air2 owners practice using it during ascents, it's very easy to use in the recreational environment it was intended for. It's not intended for all applications, but it is an alternative for some divers in some environments. I have used the Air2 and the traditional octo, depending on the type of diving I was doing, without any problems. Bottom line...practice with what you use, and make sure you and your buddies are familiar with and comfortable with your gear. There is a big difference in tech diving needs vs. recreational diving needs, so I don't think anyone can fairly say that one configuration, or one manufacturer is the best and only way to go for everything.

By the way, just to be fair, I also like many features of the DSS system, and own some of that gear as well. The Kydex BP is low profile and very comfortable for warm water diving.

Just my opinions from actually using the gear over a long period of time. I even teach in the BP/Wing configuration, and think it is very comfortable and practical.

StSomewhere:
NASA has such an outstanding safety and engineering record that I'm going to rely on them to decide what dive gear I'm using? :33:

Let's see. Three failures: Apollo 1, Challenger and Columbia since March 1961.That is just under 45 years. How many US man hours have there been in space? Apollo 13 doesn't count because they got the guys home.

o-ring failures aren't usually as spectacular in diving gear as they are in launch vehicles...

StSomewhere:
NASA has such an outstanding safety and engineering record that I'm going to rely on them to decide what dive gear I'm using? :33:

Sorry to stir your pot, but the space shuttle in particular is an appallingly expensive, unreliable and (relatively) unsafe piece of equipment.

That's mainly due to it being probably one of the most complex craft built machines in service today.

Now on their choice of dive equipment, I'm not qualified to judge, so I won't :)

IMHO, what one must guard against is getting caught in the "brand name trap". I see it on other boards, not only in scuba, but in other sports as well. There are many fine BC's, regs, exposure suits, etc. Each suited for a particular type of diving, as well as each individual divers physical characteristics. Dive with what works. Gear must be safe, it must function as required for the conditions that it is subjected to, and should be comfortable enough to be thought of as an extension of ones self.

Just my $0.02

Have Fun,
D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom