On no island like Bonaire

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Safety and security
Terrorism There is a low threat from terrorism. But you should be aware of the global risk of indiscriminate terrorist attacks which could be in public areas, including those frequented by expatriates and foreign travellers. For more general information see Terrorism Abroad.

Crime Most visits to the Dutch Caribbean are trouble-free, however petty theft and street crime is a concern. There is violent crime amongst members of the illegal drugs world, but this rarely affects tourists. The main tourist areas are generally safe, but you are advised to take normal precautions and, for example, do not wander alone off the main roads, especially at night. Never take valuables to the beach. Make sure purses and handbags are closed and not easy to snatch. Unfortunately, the islands continue to be used to smuggle illegal drugs from South America to Europe and North America. You should have a heightened sense of awareness of this problem and never leave bags unattended, nor under any circumstances discuss or agree to carry a package for anyone. Some airports have installed "body scanners" and it is possible you may be required to have a scan. Dutch authorities generally screen all baggage and passengers from the Dutch Caribbean. For more general information see Victims of Crime Abroad.

Local Travel Small buses are available to get around the islands. When taking a taxi, always check that it is a registered one and negotiate the price before taking the ride. Most taxis do not have meters. Remote areas should be avoided at night.

Netherlands Antilles travel advice

It's amazing, it sounds like any American city . . . :popcorn:
Jax, yours is from the UK and says pretty much the same as the US gov web site.

Netherlands Antilles, which I have posted on these threads when this all starts up.

I didn't post it in this thread because it has been ignored every other time it has been posted, as I am sure your post will be ignored...

The UK and US governments must just be interested in "white washing" the major crime increases on Bonaire and instead want to spread pixie dust all around to protect their interests in Bonaire (perhaps both countries have major time share holdings there?) :shakehead:

Here we go with Godwins Law. :shakehead:

Sweet. I'll give you a point for that one.
clapping1.gif
Good one.

Jax - Maybe I'll wait for the subpoena before I answer you.

Here's a little bone for you:

What number of "finds" did you discover, please? 5? 10? 50?

If you are asking for the number of internet references to crime on Bonaire the number is beyond 50.

Before you ask for them all Matlock, please feel free to use google and discover them for yourself. I'm not here to spoon feed you just because you might not believe it, you can carry on with whatever you believe or don't believe or you can do the work yourself, you're a good cut and paster you shouldn't find it hard.

Last edited by a moderator:
Before you ask for them all Matlock, please feel free to use google and discover them for yourself. I'm not here to spoon feed you just because you might not believe it, you can carry on with whatever you believe or don't believe or you can do the work yourself,

the-truth-is-out-there-21042.jpg

Maybe for more accurate, current information I should traipse around the Caribbean some interviewing other divers?
... Every dive site I've gone to in the Caribbean I have run into one or two people with a horrible tale to tell about crime on Bonaire and getting ripped off by theives, car rental agencies, condo owners, etc and how little the police do...

In short, you don't believe what you read and hear, I do believe it. I see no reason for people to lie.
CD, it's been handled for you :rofl3:

I ran across that during my research but the info is a bit out of date.

... remember life is slowed down in the Caribbean - maybe they're not finished yet with the 2009 analysis... :coolingoff:

... remember life is slowed down in the Caribbean - maybe they're not finished yet with the 2009 analysis... :coolingoff:

Soon come mon, soon come.

I've been refraining from comment on this thread as I have no personal experience with Bonaire, although that certainly hasn't kept many from posting as "experts". That said, butch up people, the current global economic situation has caused crime to rise everywhere and I'm sure Bonaire is no exception. Go where you want to go, do what you want to do and be a little extra diligent about not becoming a victim. And for Gods sake, if you're going to go on a tirade that could adversely affect someone's livelihood know what the hell you're talking about and be able to back it up. I can't believe this sissified drivel has been allowed to continue.

Last edited:
* * * MOD POST * * *

I am closing this thread for now. It has degraded into nothing more than an argument between a couple of individuals, and nothing constructive is going on here.

We may reopen it, but I am unclear if folks will play nicely. Seriously folks, think about what you post.

* * * MOD POST * * *

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom