on the boat w/500 psi

Where did you learn how to end up back at the boat with 500 psi?

• I still don't know

Votes: 12 8.5%
  • Basic OW

Votes: 106 75.2%
  • Advanced OW

Votes: 11 7.8%
  • Master Diver

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Other system/agency (e.g., BASC)

Votes: 6 4.3%
  • DM course

Votes: 3 2.1%
  • instructor course

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Cave/Cavern or tech course

Votes: 3 2.1%
  • Scubaboard.com

Votes: 17 12.1%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You left out how I first did it......swim around just under the boat until 700 psi...and surface after after my safety stop..... :D

We learned the rule of 1/3, as well as the group diving rule that he had set. The location we were, the instructor for OW told us to let him know when we were at 1000, then we all group up and ascend together, from 40 feet or 25, the rule was the same.

That's not quite the rule of thirds, but it's basically how we teach the divers to be individually, at a grand start your ascent and pstop, generally surface between 500-700 psi

When I had 20 dives, I met this local instructor who took me under his wing. A month or so later, he told me he was giving a "gas management" seminar at a local shop. I attended it, and left with my jaw hanging. That was my wakeup call that there was an unbelievable amount of stuff I didn't know and hadn't heard anything about. (Thanks again, Bob!)

Then I took Fundies, and got the whole talk over again.

I seem to remember being taught that it was time to go up when you hit 500 psi. This was back in the ascend at 60 ft per minute and no safety stop days.

If a boat captain wants me back aboard at 500 psi, his boat his rules. If I disagree I can find a different boat.

Other divers / DM instructions for first boat dive I did.

Similarly a few ops I've dealt with have had the "no remaining air, no remaining dives" policy (for that day).

As far as when to start up, I acquired that over time/dives, but I do always tell my buddy at 1k. I go through air faster than my wife without fail, so I'm always the limiter.

Maybe you should have a poll asking how often we are actually back on the boat with more than 500psi. I'm sure we all know we are supposed to be on the boat with 500.:crafty:

Eh... common sense? If 500 is my reserve, as commonly taught/used for recreational diving, then it stands to reason that 500 is what the tank should have in it at the end of a dive, for example. Most dive ops will go over what they want you to return with as well - as we have seen in many replies already.

BTW... I would be surprised if a tec/cave class/instructor taught anyone to return with 500psi as a "rule" or "guideline."

Last edited:
I take the 500PSI thing as required by some boats with a grain of salt. I don't agree with it, but seldom is it worthwhile to argue with the boat crew on the issue.

If being on the boat is the extent of your gas planning, you are doing a crappy job of it.

If you do your gas planning right, most of the time it is not an issue until you decide to hang at 20' watching the fish next to the boat or have really big tanks / doubles.

I learned in my OW to be back on the bot by 500psi. I was told that this would become easier as I got the hang of how fast I breathe UW. The most in depth that they went into it was: It is always better to be back on board a little sooner as 500psi can sometimes mean 300-400psi.

I learned better gas management techniques from experienced divers. One of them I ended up taking my first "tech" class with.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom