One for the Docs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tavi

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi,
Is there any medical evidence that being in salt water relieves everyday aches and pains??
as I've grown older I get more aches and pains that I thought just went along with aging. When I'm on vacation I'm in the Ocean each day and the Hot tub each night. Those pains dissapear and I feel great. Is it something to do with the saltwater or just a pleasant side effect of relaxing and enjoying a vacation?

Thanks in advance, Tavi

Dear Tavi,

You wanted a doc...you got a doc...er, dentist. I believe there are three reasons that you feel less aches and pains diving.

First, you are not at your HMO.

Next, you probably paid more for the vacation than your doctor's exam and prescription.

Finally, and this is a laman's answer, but there is some validity to it. When you are diving, you are nearly weightless in the water. This takes the load off your joints. You are also removed from the everyday stresses and your pain threshold is probably higher. Besides, you don't really care if you have an ache or pain--you get to go diving. No problems mon.

Have a happy Turkey Day

Laurence Stein DDS
:jester:

Tavi,

I also am not a doc, but you may be right about the effects.....a old home remedy for sprained ankles and sore feet is to soak them in Epsom salts.

So I guess that salt water could help. However, I would venture to guess that there is no medical evidence of this.

Just a thought.

Chad

I'm a doc and I would say the weightlessness and range of motion that you use diving and swimming is probably what makes you feel so good. Have you tried a regular swimming or snorkeling routine at home for exercise? It gives me the same effect. I can't stand when I've been out of the pool a few days.
The other important thing is regular stretching, but stretch for 2 seconds and release, repeat about 10 times. Increased flexibility will decrease you pain. Tracy

I do stretch regularly. I don't swim in the winter. But we have talked about checking out the YMCA or the local schools for swimming in the winter.
I'm sure part of it is being on vacation. But I still think the salt water has something to do with it.
Maybe I'll just Have to take an extra vacation next year and dive freshwater for a week or two and see if the results are the same. :D:

thanks again, Tavi

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom